Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, do I need to run the starter heat shield tin and packing?

If so, where do I get a new setuo, mine I trashed and oil soaked???

Thanks Ryan:eek:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hello, do I need to run the starter heat shield tin and packing?

If so, where do I get a new setuo, mine I trashed and oil soaked???

Thanks Ryan:eek:
Dealer, package has 1-05234376 on it (it may be just 05234376). Keep the metal clip, this is just the foil covered fiberglass shield.

$8.00 was what they charged me but they like me.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you need to run one? Im trying to put head on tonight. Can I slip a new shield in under the car after head is on?

Or should I wait to get the right parts?

Thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would wait.. The heat from the turbo is torture on those things. Hence use of a heat sheild. if you're replacing the starter with the head off (btw, thats the best and most easiest way) Try to imagine replacing it when the car is running and all together. Its kind of a nightmare. Good luck.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Do you need to run one? Im trying to put head on tonight. Can I slip a new shield in under the car after head is on?

Or should I wait to get the right parts?

Thanks
It can be done after the head is on but it is not as easy. I did it from under the car.

I've run without one but only short distances so cannot speak about any real usage without. Heat kills starters eventually.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
My TIII didn't have one on it when I bought it and I did put one on from under and don't remember it being too hard.

As far as needing one I would have to say yes you do. That thought comes from many threads I have seen here and also the reason I installed one on mine. I didn't have the clip but used a big fat wire tie to hold it on. Its been working fine.

I got mine from the dealer a few years ago for 20 dollars.
Tim

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,516 Posts
I will look tonight and post the clip PN, I replaced mine and the clip. Even the NA cars use the heat shield as the exhaust manifold is still right above it.

·
Administrator
25,738 Posts
Mine was also destroyed and I ran a parts inquiry on the # and it showed 6 left in the NAT parts depot so I ordered 1 at work, when the #'s get that low it is a 50/50 shot weather the part is actually there, I will let you know if it comes in.
List price is $13.00

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I would guess they were still making them when I got mine it had made in Germany on it.
Tim

·
Administrator
25,738 Posts
Just ran another parts inquiry and as of this morning at 9:50 there are 5 left in the NAT parts depot so I am guessing my order was completed.
If you want it from Mopar now is the time to order, it fits 89 -94 and exact list price is $13.33.
There are 9 dealers in the country showing it thier current inventory.

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I ran mine for many years in arizona hot weather without a heatshield. But thats not to say you shouldnt put it on to make sure you get the most time out of it.

So yes, if you have it all apart, might as well put it on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts