Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 shelby z cranks fine when cold and idles good,but has recently got to where you have to mash the gas pedal a little to start it after its warmed up,but then it runs great,also when coming to a stop it stays idled up for about 5 seconds,then the idle drops down to normal,any ideas?thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Seems ours is doing the same thing. This morning when it was cool outside (48 deg. or so) it started up perfect for the first time since we bought it. Idled perfect and all. Once it warmed up, nothing. Just cranks over like it is out of gas, but good fuel pressure and spark. FPR vacuum line had fuel in it, so I swapped with a good unit, and still nothing. Any help is appreciated. BTW, no codes I can pull. Also, tach, and oil pressure gauges, do not work either.
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also, If I put gas in the T/B, it will fire,but if I hit the peddle it bogs and dies.
Mike

*Edit* 84 laser is the car. Sorry guys.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've been having hot start problems with my GLHS. Like it was tough to take it to the dyno or the track since it would not start hot. I would have to wait 10 minutes then it would start. The final solution will be the cal but until then, when starting hot, I put a small vise grip on the fuel pressure return line and up the pressure to about 60 psi, then it starts right up. I ease the pressure down, then I'm allset.

This problem is new for this year. It could be a change in the gasoline. I don't know.
This may work for wolf. I had no codes, hooked up a DRB2 and all sensors were reading correctly. (I would have bet $100. that it was the air charge temp sensor but it wasn't).
That's my .35 cents :)

I

·
Registered
65 Posts
So the air charge temp sensor could cause it to start at times, and not others? It almost seems as if the injectors are not spraying. I feel like I have been chasing ghosts the last few days. And just to clear it up, the cars temp did not go up, just the outside temp.
Mike

NVM, found the testing proceedure in the manual

·
Registered
277 Posts
In my case, if the intake air is 100 degrees, (It does rise quite a bit when you turn the car off.) and the computer thinks it's 60 degrees, the mixture would be way off.

Your situation is different.

I was assuming that your car runs well when you get it started, plenty of power right through the rev range. Is that true?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Seems ours is doing the same thing. This morning when it was cool outside (48 deg. or so) it started up perfect for the first time since we bought it. Idled perfect and all. Once it warmed up, nothing. Just cranks over like it is out of gas, but good fuel pressure and spark. FPR vacuum line had fuel in it, so I swapped with a good unit, and still nothing. Any help is appreciated. BTW, no codes I can pull. Also, tach, and oil pressure gauges, do not work either.
Mike
Not saying this is it 100% but if fuel got to the MAP it may have hosed it.
I'd change your vacuum lines to the MAP with fresh hose and swap in a known good MAP sensor to test.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would try to find somebody with the same computer you have and swap it. My car did the same . It would start up find in the morning and when it warms up it dies and you could start it again and it won't start up right until the madule in the computer cool down and it would start up fine again and after it warms up it would die out again. so Iwould say its your puter. I hope this help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In my case, if the intake air is 100 degrees, (It does rise quite a bit when you turn the car off.) and the computer thinks it's 60 degrees, the mixture would be way off.

Your situation is different.

I was assuming that your car runs well when you get it started, plenty of power right through the rev range. Is that true?
Yes, it actually ran flawless. Left for a bit, came back when the temp outside went up about40 degrees, and nothing. I am thinking MAP got gas in it as well, as the regulator had ruptured. If the computers are anyhing like our Talon, i hear it clicking when i turn the key on. I will keep updateing as I test some things. Thanks all,
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, weather conditions are the same as yesterday, but no start. Must have been a fluke start, or when I was reconnecting the power steering pump, something got moved in the wiring harness causing a loose connection (rechecked connetions seem tight). Next is trying to replace things 1 by 1 to eliminate problems. Things I can think of I am going to need are:
PCM
FPR
LM
fuel pump
MAP
Charge Air Sensor.
Anyone think of anything else that would cause a no start that is not listed?
And is there a list or link to all vehicles that I can get parts off of?
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like maybe 3 in a row, and I suppose you could call it rapid. I will have to listen again in the morning and get a better idea. Sound like it may be bad? Yhe computer was actually the first thing I was going to look into trying with another, but finding one in a town this size may prove to be difficult without waiting for one to ship.
Mike

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hopefully maybe some one here could let you barrow a computer and you pay for the shipping and return shipping and if it works you and shipper can make a deal. If i had an extra i would do it. With this economy going we need all the help we can get.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Its no biggie for me to have to buy one, if it is not the problem, I will hahve a spare for when I do need another. Never hurts to have spare parts. ;)
Any way to visually inspect for damage? I know in a DSM if the ECU smells like fish it means leaking caps.

What years will work in My '84?
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Messing with it this morning, it is starting again, but dying shortly after. It clicks one fast one whehn I turn the key, and another a second later. Pulled the round cover off the case, and the red light flashes when cranking, and is on solid when it starts.
Picture-1.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

That is a short vid of what it is sounding like if it helps any. You guys are very helpful, thank you.
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts