1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello TD!

Story,
Browsing CL i came across a 91 2.5t Shadow ES 5S, for $900
Mileage UNK OD stopped at 157k Runs but stalls, ebay front mount, Ceramic Clutch, Rims + good tires, New Fuel pump, new stock exhaust (emissions) 100% clean body not a dent.

I called they guy told him i would buy it but wanted to run a compression check,
So i did results by Cyl left to right #1 120PSI #2 120PSI #3 90PSI #4 120PSI

I didn't have oil to check if it was the rings so i offered him $450 he said yeah and ended up not having change for $100 he had $12 so i got it for $488

So think this is a steal? or i get ripped? i feel comfortable with the purchase.

Cars current problems,
I got it home turns out after another compression check with oil on hand YES bad rings :( ohwell! Discount Engine Exchange has a 2.5 for $1100 with 67k on it im getting with taxes :)
But in the mean time i want to have fun with this motor ;)
I bought a new TPS assuming that was the problem cause of its symptoms, Stalling after throttle, hesitation, fuel cut like jerking but nope wasn't the TPS, also ran a DIAG on the TPS signal and check calibration, and sweep from CT to WOT, its all good though.

So disappointed it wasn't a $35 fix staring at the motor in shame i noticed the the firing order on the intake manifold, and took a quick look at the distributor and it wasn't in order in excitement i pulled them out and plugged them up in order 1342 with out noting the original order it did run on, rookie move.
Now in the correct order it doesn't start UGH, even tried to adjust distributor but NOTHING!
This tells me the new timing belt i see was installed by a tard and its out of timing, I don't have a T gun and don't remember the order it was running on so i can get it across the street to meineke to have them fix the timing issue, any one have any ideas???

Opinions,
I'm going to spend about 2k on putting in the new/used motor for $1100 after i buy light weight fly wheel and new clutch and the little odds and ends that break during the swap, should i rebuild or swap, or 2.4 swap it OPINIONS PLEASE!!!

weird misfire in exhaust
http://youtu.be/y_DENcESF0o
Running before i changed distributor firing order this video helped me get the original
http://youtu.be/rK0P7Bt02Ng

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
What would it cost you to do a full rebuild? If it is just a cracked ring, you should be able to salvage a few of the old parts. Pull it apart, clean it up, and throw some new rings/bearings in and let her rip. But this is also to say that you have the space to do it yourself. If not, go to a shop and get a quote.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What would it cost you to do a full rebuild? If it is just a cracked ring, you should be able to salvage a few of the old parts. Pull it apart, clean it up, and throw some new rings/bearings in and let her rip. But this is also to say that you have the space to do it yourself. If not, go to a shop and get a quote.
Shop Quoted $2500 ridiculous, if i'm tearing it apart i might as well put some forged parts back in but that gets costy!! looking at 3k for fully built bottom end not including head.

·
Super Moderator
11,857 Posts
lol check your cam timeing - if 180* out it will still run pretty good if you switch around the plug wires

had a buddy with a mini van , one night I was doing a cam swap on his motor and found his plug wires were all mixed up (he'd been driveing it for months already)

when I pulled the T belt covers I found the hole in the cam pulley that belongs at the top was at the bottom

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Talk to A.J. on this forum. He has a shop in phoenix and knows TD's really well. I would get a quote from him before you start spending money

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Opinions,
I'm going to spend about 2k on putting in the new/used motor for $1100 after i buy light weight fly wheel and new clutch and the little odds and ends that break during the swap, should i rebuild or swap, or 2.4 swap it OPINIONS PLEASE!!!
Welcome and, yes, I have an idea:
DON'T PAY $1100.00 for a 2.5l engine!
they can be had for MUCH less.

Is the $1100.00 for a newly rebuilt 2.5?
If so, that price might be OK.
(If you keep the old engine and, part it out)

But really, I agree with the above suggestion.
Replace the rings(at a minimum).
And, if you're intending to draw more performance out of it,
maybe get yourself some forged pistons.

All of the Vendors usually have them on hand.
Here's a couple links to them:

Forward Motion
Forward Motion, Inc. Catalog

FWD Performance
Venolia Forged Pistons

Turbos unleashed
Forged Pistons

These prices may seem high BUT, I can tell you this;
Once you get the car running, you'll be HOOKED!
Hooked and, searching for how to further increase its performance.

Building the bottom end NOW, IMHO will only save you later. :thumb:

Best wishes my friend. :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol check your cam timeing - if 180* out it will still run pretty good if you switch around the plug wires

had a buddy with a mini van , one night I was doing a cam swap on his motor and found his plug wires were all mixed up (he'd been driveing it for months already)

when I pulled the T belt covers I found the hole in the cam pulley that belongs at the top was at the bottom
Yeah its for sure 180* out, i don't know the alignment on the 2.5 for timing but any help would be appreciated! i'm going to beat this motor to a pulp if it get it running before i get my taxes, Anyone wanna see what 30lbs of boost does to a stock 2.5 haha just kidding.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome and, yes, I have an idea:
DON'T PAY $1100.00 for a 2.5l engine!
they can be had for MUCH less.

Is the $1100.00 for a newly rebuilt 2.5?
If so, that price might be OK.
(If you keep the old engine and, part it out)

But really, I agree with the above suggestion.
Replace the rings(at a minimum).
And, if you're intending to draw more performance out of it,
maybe get yourself some forged pistons.

All of the Vendors usually have them on hand.
Here's a couple links to them:

Forward Motion
Forward Motion, Inc. Catalog

FWD Performance
Venolia Forged Pistons

Turbos unleashed
Forged Pistons

These prices may seem high BUT, I can tell you this;
Once you get the car running, you'll be HOOKED!
Hooked and, searching for how to further increase its performance.

Building the bottom end NOW, IMHO will only save you later. :thumb:

Best wishes my friend. :D
Yes the 2.5 for $1100 isnt rebuilt but only has 67k on it and the company runs all kinds of checks so its a legit motor.

How are the rods and crank on the 2.5 you think they will hold up to 300HP with just forged pistons? i have been browsing all 3 of the sites since the day i bought the car there prices are good compared to say nissan performance parts plus the one company is in Delaware with no sales tax so prices are going to be a bit higher.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Yes the 2.5 for $1100 isnt rebuilt but only has 67k on it and the company runs all kinds of checks so its a legit motor.

How are the rods and crank on the 2.5 you think they will hold up to 300HP with just forged pistons? i have been browsing all 3 of the sites since the day i bought the car there prices are good compared to say nissan performance parts plus the one company is in Delaware with no sales tax so prices are going to be a bit higher.
The company in Delaware(Forward Motion) is one I've done business with for many years.
Mike(The Owner) is probably the busiest guy I know but, also one of the most knowledgeable guys I know.

The 91 rods are good for some people way beyond 300HP.
Some folks around 400FWHP but, I wouldn't recommend that personally.

Your engine has a cast crankshaft and, so did mine.
Up to 300HP, I think you'll be fine.
However, I would have it spun and, checked for proper tolerances.
Pretty much any local machine shop should be able to handle this.

This car is obviously not your primary vehicle, right?
If it indeed isn't,
Here's a link that should help you along the way for performance:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f62/358228-stage-1-build-thread-getting-20-a.html

Take some time and, write down your goals for the vehicle.
ie: HP, TQ, 1/4mi. times, etc...
- Basically, what you envision the car to be.
- Then gather all of the information for performing the necessary modifications
(ie: parts suppliers, machine shop quotes, repair procedures/outlines/directions)
- I recommend the FSM. Usually available at FWD Performance.
- If I were you, I'd find a nice open space, preferably a garage but, not a necessity and, begin the mods.

This way, you can do most of the things you'd like to do all at once.
Also during this time, you'll have time to check into the car at a much deeper level.

If you're not mechanically inclined, then glhs727's suggestion above is the way to go.

Just my :two cents:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The company in Delaware(Forward Motion) is one I've done business with for many years.
Mike(The Owner) is probably the busiest guy I know but, also one of the most knowledgeable guys I know.

The 91 rods are good for some people way beyond 300HP.
Some folks around 400FWHP but, I wouldn't recommend that personally.

Your engine has a cast crankshaft and, so did mine.
Up to 300HP, I think you'll be fine.
However, I would have it spun and, checked for proper tolerances.
Pretty much any local machine shop should be able to handle this.

This car is obviously not your primary vehicle, right?
If it indeed isn't,
Here's a link that should help you along the way for performance:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f62/358228-stage-1-build-thread-getting-20-a.html

Take some time and, write down your goals for the vehicle.
ie: HP, TQ, 1/4mi. times, etc...
- Basically, what you envision the car to be.
- Then gather all of the information for performing the necessary modifications
(ie: parts suppliers, machine shop quotes, repair procedures/outlines/directions)
- I recommend the FSM. Usually available at FWD Performance.
- If I were you, I'd find a nice open space, preferably a garage but, not a necessity and, begin the mods.

This way, you can do most of the things you'd like to do all at once.
Also during this time, you'll have time to check into the car at a much deeper level.

If you're not mechanically inclined, then glhs727's suggestion above is the way to go.

Just my :two cents:
Hey thank you so much i appreciate it all and will definatly make a list for now my goal is 300HP + - 10.
I beat on my cars hard!! so i don't want to go all out on something that i'm not going to baby. and 300HP is enough to keep me happy.
My daily is a h22 prelude complete stock and i have fun with that lol
Yes i am somewhat mechanically inclined. Ill get Back to you on what exactly im doing need to get it running first!

Oh and the only A.J. i found in this area (mesa) has not been active since 2011

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hey thank you so much i appreciate it all and will definatly make a list for now my goal is 300HP + - 10.
I beat on my cars hard!! so i don't want to go all out on something that i'm not going to baby. and 300HP is enough to keep me happy.
My daily is a h22 prelude complete stock and i have fun with that lol
Yes i am somewhat mechanically inclined. Ill get Back to you on what exactly im doing need to get it running first!

Oh and the only A.J. i found in this area (mesa) has not been active since 2011
If it's a car you'll be beating on hard, one of the more important ways to go faster here in the TD world is to get lighter.
Remove some of the creature comforts which are for daily driver use. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
11,857 Posts
+1!
even before I started the turbo conversion on my turismo I swaped in a set of high back seats

- it got driven with only the driver's seat in the car , no passenger seat or back seat - it made it drive a whole lot better , kinda like takeing out the invisable passenger

none of my friends that rode in the car ever really knew how it drove when I was by myself as I could always feel the difference of their weight in the car

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it's a car you'll be beating on hard, one of the more important ways to go faster here in the TD world is to get lighter.
Remove some of the creature comforts which are for daily driver use. :thumb:
Yeah as much as will be beating on it, i will still need things like A/C components and things like that, i live in PHX and our summers are brutal!

I've decide my route,
Motor;
+1mm Forged Pistons
Rods
Thick Comentic for lower Compression
190 Fuel Pump
FWD 20% Injectors
MSD Igintion
Billet FR
Bigger Turbo
ARP Bolts and Studs
Minor head work.
does Gates make a performance belt??
Under Drive

Body;
FWD Short Throw
Wire Tuck
Relocate E-Brake to a handle. (that bugs me so much)
A nice VAC block, Car currently has Catch can and was installed like butt.
New inter cooler piping, and BOV.
Suspension and like some 17" Meshys
Cage (buddy does em)
Sparco Driver and passenger.
Pearl white paint job (buddy paints)

that's pretty much all i want out of it! lol im not asking for a lot. any suggestions??

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yeah as much as will be beating on it, i will still need things like A/C components and things like that, i live in PHX and our summers are brutal!

I've decide my route,
Motor;
+1mm Forged Pistons
Rods
Thick Comentic for lower Compression
190 Fuel Pump
FWD 20% Injectors
MSD Igintion
Billet FR
Bigger Turbo
ARP Bolts and Studs
Minor head work.
does Gates make a performance belt??
Under Drive

Body;
FWD Short Throw
Wire Tuck
Relocate E-Brake to a handle. (that bugs me so much)
A nice VAC block, Car currently has Catch can and was installed like butt.
New inter cooler piping, and BOV.
Suspension and like some 17" Meshys
Cage (buddy does em)
Sparco Driver and passenger.
Pearl white paint job (buddy paints)

that's pretty much all i want out of it! lol im not asking for a lot. any suggestions??
What are your goals? Some of these things are not needed and just for show unless you are really fast, and other things like injector size may limit your power.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What are your goals? Some of these things are not needed and just for show unless you are really fast, and other things like injector size may limit your power.
My goal is + or - 300 hp, i could of swore reading stock injector is only good for 250 maybe that was on something else correct me if im wrong, and this is just what i am doing with my taxes for now, eventually i will slowly do more.

found out a few days ago were having our 2nd child so maybe more next tax season!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts