Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace or rebuild my steering rack. Needs some input on rebuild kits or whole racks.
Car has 16" rims. Is a rack listed for 15" rims the same as what's on car now.
Is rebuilding a better option ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you private message me we can have a conversation I am going through hell right now with Cardone. And I would hate for anyone to go through what I'm going through.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
And also I have done so much research I pretty much know what's out there

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
I just rebuilt a TRW steering rack (89-up). The rebuilt kits work with either saginaw or TRW. I had no issues with the kit, the rebuild would be challenging if you are not mechanically inclined. I found it more challenging than a transaxle rebuild. Had to make two unique tools, and get creative with replacing the pinion seals. That said, it was rewarding and cost $30 to rebuild.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
How did you set the pre load on the steering shaft worm gear?

I documented the location of the worm gear in relation to the rack gears, if I got it wrong, I was going to compensate for it at the steering wheel

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm still looking for specs.
I just found out yesterday that the cost to rebuild the rack by sending it to Cardone through Advance Auto is 100.00 plus shipping. I am shocked. I have been back and forth with Cardone's tech guys for 3 months and got basically no where.
Anyway I'm not sure what direction to go.
Do I keep the 3 turn rack in the car or do I send the old one out and hope that it comes out right. The cost would basically be the same. The time to install is the only thing stopping me.
The only questions I really have more is; Is the turn ratio on the rack (when I make a basic turn left or right) I have the same as the original one and is the rack set up for a ZF firm feel pump.
This is stress lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts