Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone have a source(s) for a new or rebuilt quick-ratio steering rack for my '86 GLHS?

·
Administrator
24,755 Posts
Autozone has a listing for a rack for a GLH, if yours is bad and not rebuildable...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks NAJ. Autozone lists two of them. The one you listed is 6434, and the other I saw is 6873 (more expensive at $178 vs $111 for the other). Regardless though, how would I know if either is the quick ratio type?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have a couple steering racks around. How do I know if they are the 6434 version?
Casting #'s on the rack itself are the same. The fast ratio racks for the L-bodies came on GLH and SC models only. 84-87. That is why they're hard to find. To answer your question the F/R racks were smaller lock to lock 2.2-2.4 turns lock to lock (measured off the car) 2.2 or 2.4 is depending on vendor (Saginaw or TRW).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yes, that was the first route but unfortunately it's not rebuildable.
If the sleeves are leaking that is common. Results in pretty much no assist when cold. They can be re-sleeved. It is about another $100 for shops to do this. Or are the threads stripped out of the line fittings? Maybe broken mounting ear off the rack. Seems pretty unusual that a rack isn't rebuildable.

·
Administrator
10,178 Posts
If the sleeves are leaking that is common. Results in pretty much no assist when cold. They can be re-sleeved. It is about another $100 for shops to do this. Or are the threads stripped out of the line fittings? Maybe broken mounting ear off the rack. Seems pretty unusual that a rack isn't rebuildable.
My thoughts as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts