Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. Have been happy with the car and service I hve received from the dealer. Presently I have approx 25,000 miles and have noticed a clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Billy ball, welcome to the PTE. There are others who have had the same issue with the clicking noise in the steering wheel. I believe that the problem is with the clock spring. There is a TSB (technical service bulliten) for this problem. The TSB# is 1900601A (Component: Steering: Column - Experiencing steering column click sound when the steering wheel is turned.) If you give that TSB number to your dealer, they should know what to do. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the TSB#, I wasn't aware of that. Will pass the info to my dealer next service trip in. Thanks again for the speedy reply.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Thanks for that info... I have the same problem... but it isn''t that disturbing yet... I will give the TSB# to my dealer too. But I don't think they will know what to do... cause sometimes I think I know less then they do ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
jpscruiser said:
I believe that the problem is with the clock spring.
Actually, it is the upper half of the steering column that causes the problem and it is replaced with a redesigned unit. The clock spring is sometimes replaced because it is easily damaged during the repair. Definitely covered under warranty and a quick fix.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My 5 month old 2003 GT (5,000 miles) is making a noise when I turn the steering wheel also. It isn't a clicking, more like a rubbing sound that is very annoying. Sounds louder inside than outside. I would think that mine would have incorporated whatever fix was recommended in the TSB if the TSB has been out for a while. Noise is usually absent when I first start the vehicle but gets very noticeable after 5 or 10 miles anytime I turn the steering wheel (even a movement of an inch in either direction will get me the rubbing sound).

Any suggestions on this one?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Could be a couple of things. My clicking was a bearing at the top of the steering column. Swishing or rubbing tends to be the clock spring. Last time, I had a groaning sound which was worn tie rod ends (apparently). This sound has come back so it's off to try out a new dealership!

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
jpscruiser said:
Billy ball, welcome to the PTE. There are others who have had the same issue with the clicking noise in the steering wheel. I believe that the problem is with the clock spring.
I had a ticking noise in my steering wheel and they said at the dealership that it was definitely the clock spring! :}

Get it? Ticking? Clock spring? Boy, who served novocaine to the audience?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts