Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo

So I'm going to be constructing a shorter, colder intake route for my 86 turbo z cs, primarily from pvc most likely but my question and concern is this: on the stock intake system, just past the airbox, once it routes down to be behind the headlight area, there are all kinds of wires and electrical connectors that run into the intake itself, like sensors... what are these and how do i bypass them? I know that there's a a million and one people who have made intakes for daytonas and other TDs, so there's got to be an easy solution. Do I need all of that junk or do i have to route is somewhere else? My friend told me that some might be a mass airflow sensor(s) and I may be able to operate fine without them... So what do I need to do? Help ASAP please, thanks!!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
All that jazz up front, is what makes your engine work! Called a SBEC, and its the brain for your engine. Before you get carried away and start unhooking stuff (just my 12 Euro cents worth, adjusted for inflation...) Lots of guys go down a slippery slope when they start "trailer parking" their intake tract...seems there are TD's out there that do 300+ WHP with stock air boxes and hose routings...plus, you will save your self a whole bunch of vacuum issues if you end up overlooking a hose, or blocking something off. :thumb: Of course you wont get to stand around with all the Honda drivers at the Taco Bell and say "Look at my chrome pipe/no name air cleaner" set up...that just sucks up superheated underhood air anyway... :cool:

Reconsider what it is you are out to achieve...then, if you are hell bent and determined to get a whiff of fresh air, consider moving the battery (or buying a slightly smaller one, and route via Intercooler piping (on eBay) to a hi volume air cleaner assy. that is mounted at or near one of the vent openings (not protruding out into traffic like one retard Omni guy did here... :eek: ) and chances are, you will get a tad cooler intake charge, and the nifty induction roar that you are prolly after... :thumb:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Since your car is an 86 its a power module. It has a air hose connected to it to get air flow through it so it doesn't overheat. I disconnected mine on my 87 charger and the car works fine just take the hose off dont mess with any other hoses vacuum lines or wiring. It doesnt really help performance at all because if you look at the other end of the power module its getting cold air from in front of the radiator supports anyway. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts