Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ive been trying to get the build running. One thing i wanted to do is crank the motor to prime the oil system, and i wanted to do so without fuel and spark (primarily cuz i was having AFPR probs). So i pulled the Auto Shutdown Relat connector out.

Well, now that im ready to fire, i reconnected my relay. Upon Key On, the dang thing start clicking at approx 2-3 cycles per second. Before (4 days ago), when priming the fuel system with Key On, everything was fine. Now the SoB just continuously bumps wreaking havok with the fuel pump and general elec.

What i have done:
Jumped diagnostic connector DB/Y to 12v to verify ASD is funtional. result is smooth operation.
Took a meter to ASD connector to verify clean ground on DB/Wt (if i remmeber correctly)
Cleaned contacts.

With the jumpin of Diag connector, that should prove functionality of the ASD. So the only reason it should act funny is because the computer is telling it too. It is a new cal from Cindy....however the ASD worked fine to prime the fuel before. I have never run this computer before tho. Perhaps ill try dropping in my stock 89 T2.

also for infos sake, Ive basically done the standard TD build for a Super 60 T2 Ghead 18psi, all typical modifications included. Thanks guys (esp u NAJ :p).

~Mark

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh ya, i also pulled the HEI connectors apart at the distributer to see if it would result in no ASD energization. To my surprize the comp still tried to energize the ASD resulting in the clicking.

And to clerify, i have had proper ASD functionality outta this cal via priming my fuel system before. Thnks!

·
R.I.P Dennis Jarvis
5,369 Posts
Consider calling Cindy at (281-288-4411) Welcome to FWD Performance, Inc.. She should be able to tell you what conditions would cause the ASD relay to chatter. Personally I would put the 89 T2 SMEC back in. It would clear up for sure if you have an SMEC problem or if the problem is steal their you would know it's a problem with the signals going to the SMEC that's causing the problem.

Dennis

·
Administrator
24,972 Posts
Is this the 89 is your profile?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Is your fuel injector harness connected? When one of my cars hasn't run for a while I disconnect it (along with pulling the coil wire out of the distrubitor) to keep from spraying gas while I start it to oil the motor. Key on the ADS clicks like crazy before I crank the motor. Also may want to verify all grounds are present and tight, especially the ground on the fuel injection harness :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn. Thats a good thought. Pehaps i didnt reconnect it...i had the FI harness out plenty of times recently. Ill fmdef check tomorrow. Thanka for the thought!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did take note of the lack of fuel in the exhaust when tryin to diagnose

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Let us know how you make out :D

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Definitely look at the injector harness. Make sure the ground to the fuel rail is good! Not just continuity, but also the physical connection! I had that thing cause a similar issue and I eventually got rid of the vehicle because of it...I found the problem years later as I kept then engine!! DOH!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, good news. Even tho i was late for work already, i found the time to pop the hood on the Daytona. Sure as poo, the FI harness was unplugged, i found it hiding behind the PS reservoir. Just goes to show....start with the simple things when trouble shooting, u are probably the problem lol.

Thanks again guys
~Mark

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well great news! Got home and had the car fire within 5 mins! started within 5 seconds on first crank cycle. Very cool, sounds good with the R2+ cam from TU. No codes except for 12 and 55 after about 10 mins of running. Woohoo! Only prob is the oil leak and smoke cloud, to be address in next post :D

Thanks again,
~Mark

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Nice! Always love a quick and easy fix!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts