Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunatly the other day after a long drive on the highway, I heard a new noise. It sounds fine at idle, but a noise starts to rattle around 2000 rpm , becomes most violent at 2500 and seems to vanish after 3000 rpm. The noise is coming right around the timing belt cover area. The timing belt cover seems to be loose , but it's not making the noise. I will have to park it , and save up to spend money on it. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? thanks for any help of direction. I posted a link on YouTube TIII Iroc R/T noise - YouTube

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would bet that your timing belt is very loose. Remove the upper cover and watch the long run of the belt that goes from the cam gears downward on the right side when looking from the passenger fender it is probably flapping very badly.

Unfortunatly the other day after a long drive on the highway, I heard a new noise. It sounds fine at idle, but a noise starts to rattle around 2000 rpm , becomes most violent at 2500 and seems to vanish after 3000 rpm. The noise is coming right around the timing belt cover area. The timing belt cover seems to be loose , but it's not making the noise. I will have to park it , and save up to spend money on it. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? thanks for any help of direction. I posted a link on YouTube TIII Iroc R/T noise - YouTube

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes , you guys are right. After taking off the cover I could see the belt is flapping. YouTube - TIII strange noise it's parked now till I get a belt and some $ cause I won't be doing this myself probably. I'm wondering now is the cast aluminum alt/AC bracket a T3 piece only or a more common bracket. I want to do the relocation mod, but asking my mechanic and not doing it myself is a fuzzy area there. Cause these motors are so rare here,no one i know has been through one.

·
Holset Booster
3,536 Posts
Yes , you guys are right. After taking off the cover I could see the belt is flapping. YouTube - TIII strange noise it's parked now till I get a belt and some $ cause I won't be doing this myself probably. I'm wondering now is the cast aluminum alt/AC bracket a T3 piece only or a more common bracket. I want to do the relocation mod, but asking my mechanic and not doing it myself is a fuzzy area there. Cause these motors are so rare here,no one i know has been through one.
Ok,dont drive it until you get that either tightened up or belt replaced. Too loose of a belt=death on these engines. I would stringly suggest the idler re-location when you do it. The A/C bracket is TIII specific so you dont want to mess that up. If you want to send your brackets here I modify them for the idler re-location.

·
Registered
396 Posts
That sounds exactly like my iroc r/t 6 days after I got it in 1998 :) I found out the following day my timing belt was just about snapped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts