Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is strange. I have always used ford 5.0 oil filters on my R/T, but when I went to prime my oil pump the other day, I wasn't getting any oil coming up to the head. So I pulled the oil filter off and it had a little oil in it, but not much. So I grabbed an extra oil filter I had (I thought it was an extra 5.0 I had laying around) So I put it on and prime the pump again, and still no oil coming up. When I pull this filter off, it lets a bunch of air out like the filter was pressurized, but the oil couldn't get out of the filter. So now I am worried that there is something blocking the oil passage. :bang head I also had a new mopar filter for a 2.2 (the small one) that I had never used, so I put it on and prime the pump again, and everything works out just fine. wtf? The second filter I tried may have been an extra I had for my jeep (4.7) so I am not concerned with that one not working, but what was going on with the first filter?

·
Registered
670 Posts
The PH8 (Ford 5.0) filter is longer and therefore has more physical volume to go through than a PH16 (stock R/T and MANY ChryCo vehicles) before coming up to the head.

But if the PH16 has oil coming up to the head/lifters during priming, there's nothing wrong with the motor or the filters. No worries, man! :cool:

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
So this was on a fresh rebuild? I have packed vaseline into the pump's gear before to help with the initial prime. Never packed vaseline anywhere else, btwy. :D

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not tried the first filter again. I just threw it away. I am going to pick up another 5.0 filter tomorrow and try it again.

Oh, and it was not packed with vasoline....... ever. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts