Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day one of my old friends called me up asking if I wanted a free car.. a 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T! Not knowing what it was I said I would call back and as you could guess I called back asap when I saw.. Asked what was wrong.. they said it was eating oil pumps.. I got it from a used car lot that was closing down and I was chatting with the guy that redid the car and he said some interesting things...

New turbo (2psi up from stock)
Bored .30 over new pistons and rings
balanced crankshaft
+40 injectors
new ECU

Thinking he was full of it I still took the car anyway.. I knew if it was trash I could at least get 600$ from the scrapyard because they gave me the tittle! So I toss a battery in it when she gets home and try and start it, no go... I give it a shot of starting fluid and bingo fires right up and then dies...:shrug: and I saw it had no oil pressue when I did this:eek: so I rip the pan off and sure enough the gears on the oil pump and the I-shaft are shot:cool: Got on here and someone was kind enough to point me over to FWD Performance to order the parts I need.. So while I wait I guess I'll track down this eletrical / fuel issue! Not that I can try and start it or anything...:bang head Other than that.. Shes a little faded, inside is PERFECT! Outside has some clear coat missing and surface rust and a piece busted out of the grille:cool: Sat outside in that lot for... 6 years? I believe is what they said Oh and the bushings for the trans shifter linkage rotted away. 20$ for new ones! Got those too!:thumb:

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Youll wanna pull that motor out and check every bearing surface for wear. The "stock" TIII cars were notorious for having i-shaft failures and eating away oil pumps, causing the motor to lose oil pressure and lock up. The belt tension was the issue, ask a member named "lotashelbys" for help, hes done more R & D on these specific cars to know just about every problem they need help with.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Youll wanna pull that motor out and check every bearing surface for wear. The "stock" TIII cars were notorious for having i-shaft failures and eating away oil pumps, causing the motor to lose oil pressure and lock up. The belt tension was the issue, ask a member named "lotashelbys" for help, hes done more R & D on these specific cars to know just about every problem they need help with.
I'll take my chances.. it's a free car.. If it trashes itself I'll get my money back and then some! Too many projects going to pull the motor.. I got a 1989 shelby dakota im puting a suped 360 in and a 67 mustang restoration and a bike and go kart going on at the same time:bang head lol

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
I'll take my chances.. it's a free car.. If it trashes itself I'll get my money back and then some! Too many projects going to pull the motor.. I got a 1989 shelby dakota im puting a suped 360 in and a 67 mustang restoration and a bike and go kart going on at the same time:bang head lol
darn right you will - it's parts are worth a decient chunk amoung this crowd

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Nice! God I wish I could get a deal like this!

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
just put it back together stock as you can, do the pulley / tensioner mods. Then shampoo and wax and sell it here. Make some money back to fund the other projects.

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
you can get through a stock build again pretty quik. A T3 build I think is a commited build, every owner needs to learn everything they can about the car as they go and become there own guru. Once there people are happy with them. If you have lots of projects and this one isn't high on the list, or your looking for something to throw together and beat on this is not the car. Look at pricing on them and you'll get back the money you spend and then some. Then trade to something easier or cash it out for an existing project.

At this point add an I shaft, pump and block off the balance shafts and add a TBI pick up and oil pan. Do the pulley mod and set the timing belt with the gauge, then see how it runs. Sounds like the guy nuked it good, then rebuilt it and watched it. Then got sick of changing I shafts and it was left to sit. So there is a good chance the engine is ok.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I duno shoot me a price!!
3500$? is a maybe offer... I still have to see if I fall in love with it or am willing to trade it for the 67 Rustang fund..

If I get everything working well! it'll have new brakes and a rebuilt engine... if that guy wasnt full of BS...

As you see from the pictures the hood, trunk and top of the car have either clear coat/surface rust..
Piece missing out of the grille... under 100$ to fix that if I had to guess.. Needs new decals. If you want them, saw them for cheap on FWD Performance or go with the sleeper look 1 very minior dent on the front drivers side quarter panel(looks like a door ding) I'll post more pics.. and it needs that fin piece for the trunk.. it's all ate up because when it sat outside thats where the sun hit it. under 150$ to fix I'd assume! When I get her going I'll put 500 or more miles on her to make sure shes good and get back with you if you're interested:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts