Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started looking for Struts for my 1989 CSX VNT... Not much out there.

My experience with the KYBs is that they are too soft for our cars, the "EXCEL-G"
model is the OEM replacement so not really a performance strut.

Has anyone tried the Monroe Matic or the Gabriel Ultra?

Best Regards, PYCSCVNT12
++++++++++++++++++++++
PartsGeek has no name brands plus these:
-- Monroe Matic Part Number: 2055-09072708
-- Monroe Part Number: 2055-07140952
Notes: OESpectrum Strut -- Recommended OE Application -Specific Replacement
-- KYB Strut Assembly - Front Part Number: 2055-05598455
Notes: Excel-G -- Recommended OEM Replacement

RockAuto has
GABRIEL G55526 Ultra
More Information for GABRIEL G55526

·
Registered
219 Posts
Have the Gabriel Ultra on an '89 Sundance. Pretty happy with them after 5+ years. They are in fact a bit firmer than the KYB units, but not what I'd call performance units. That said, I think your options will be limited here. If you go with them, try this eBay vendor - he's my "go-to" for Gabriel struts (for a better price than Rock):

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have the Gabriel Ultra on an '89 Sundance. Pretty happy with them after 5+ years. They are in fact a bit firmer than the KYB units, but not what I'd call performance units. That said, I think your options will be limited here. If you go with them, try this eBay vendor - he's my "go-to" for Gabriel struts (for a better price than Rock):

Capt W,
Thank you, I just followed the link and ordered them. I thought there would be more of a discussion about Struts? But maybe there are just so few options that most of us install what we can find.

I will install them and let you know what I think. I purchased the strut bearngs, the strut seats, basically everything I could find that might be needed.

Best Regards, PJYCSXVNT12

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think that's indeed the case. Unless you are happy with those crappy "all-in-one" units or off-brand junk (FCS, Ultra-Power) - all of which comes from the land of General Tso's chicken - the KYB or Gabriel Ultra are the only decent choices IMO.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd go same way - Gabriel Ultra (but Rock Auto also has the firmer KYB "gas-a-just" units for the rear). The Gabriels are p/n 69632 - about $23 each on Rock Auto. Fruit Ridge Auto on eBay has older NOS versions (note Made in USA on the boxes) for about the same price when you consider tax and shipping:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts