Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 89 Tona. Just recently got it running and driving.Damn!!!,this thing sounds like the engine is falling out.Struts are gone,mounts are bangin around real good. My tech says not big deal other then handling issues till it gets fixed.Question,is anything going to let go on this thing and shoud I drive it.Thanks for the help gang.......

·
Registered
175 Posts
IMO: As for struts...not much to worry about unless the strut itself is about to break, meaning the strut shaft or the mounts are pulled through. I have seen these shafts break at the top but not on a Chrysler. Worry more about tie rod ends and lower balljoints in terms of front ends falling apart. You may want to adress the engine mounts sooner in fear the engine may torque enough to throw out the driveline angles
thus detonating the axle shafts, and or blowing the exhaust donut out. Or better yet, just having the engine fall out onto the ground(but not likely).

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. My tech had it in the air and was looking all over.Thought about ties/ball joints tonight.Can I physically see if the strut is seperating.?? Also,so you think I should still drive it?? I know you have not driven it,but what is your opinion???

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well its really up to you. I've driven things and had ball joints seperate on me . thank god I wasn't moving very fast at the time. I guess if your tech said its not that bad then he's more or less saying drive it as it is but be cautious on how you drive it. I'm a technician myself so If anything that looks to be very unsafe I let the customer know this and I also inform my supervisor and manager that the vehicle in question is in this state and should not be driven. I figure if there is something that doesn't sound right in my own personal vehicle, I repair it before something goes wrong. I'd rather put the money towards the repair rather than having to fork out money for towing and possible greater damage that could occur.....its really your call.
Good Luck

Chris

P.S. You probably can't see if the shaft is ready to break, but if there is alot of rust around the shaft near the threads then don't trust it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Chris, thanks for the info.Imyself work as an advisor in my shop and have about 16 years in cars myself. I have driven some shiite boxes myself but this is the worst case of S-mounts I have ever ridden in. This is basically going to be my winter car with fun atributes .God, it sounds bad.!! I will look into the rust issue.Finding new things everyday.....

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
While we are talking strut mounts, anyone know of good ones. A friend had some that although new, were total crap, the used factory ones were in better shape.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
BTW replace those motor mounts RIGHT AWAY!

Here's what's left of my old trans mount.

Even with only one bad mount it made ugly scary noises when driving and caused my engine to lift up several inches when going in reverse!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts