Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I thought it was my pump that was bad(it went bad running it without fluid, :bang head I know) but it turns out I have a major power steering leak in the rack. Its behind that metal heat shield on the passenger side, anyone know if there is an easily replaceable part back there or am I looking at a whole new rack?:(

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
There are no serviceable parts in the rack itself other than the inner tie rod ends. If the rack is leaking internally it needs to be replaced.

·
Administrator
25,731 Posts
Check all the normal sites(autozone, advanced auto, etc) and then research some more.
When my sister needed a P/S pump for her Acura everybody wanted $300.00 and she kept digging and found a place that sold her 1 for $180.00 and it has been in for 2 month's with 0 problems.
It is just a matter of removing the lines, intermidiate shaft and unbolting the rack, you may have to lower the subframe to remove the rack, I have not had a rack out in one of our cars in years.
I would also recommend a long rack( with inner tie rod ends and boots) as opposed to a short rack.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've used Lucas brand stop leak with phenomenal results. It's somewhat expensive, but it's cheaper than a rack. I'd get a couple bottles & use it full-strength. Of course, it still may not work, but that's what I'd do first. At one time, Chrysler made a service kit for them, but it's been NS1 for years. I saw one on ebay awhile back.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
suppose i can try it, it won't get any worse than it is lol, although you really have to see this thing leak, its just a waterfall of fluid so i dunno

·
Registered
999 Posts
Can you see exactly where on the rack it is leaking? AFAIK, they just leak out the ends if it's a seal. I guess what I'm getting at is, are both the lines tight? Or, it could be what happened to my '87 New Yorker, one of the lines rubbed on something until it had a big hole in it. :bang head If you have to, remove the shield so you can see it real well.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it has a new power steering pump and new HP hose. The return hose looked ok, I'll remove the heat shield, it was quite a mess under there so I didn't bother looking to see how it comes off.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK? Sure. Safe? Questionable. Just allow yourself more time to turn. Did you find the source of the leak?
Yeah I had been driving it with the belt off before now, but I also had a steering column break and didn't know if putting the extra stress on it caused it, of course it was pretty loose to begin with and this one I have now is tight.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The extra stress of not having power assist was probably the icing on the cake. It's not necessarily good for it, but it is at least drivable until you can fix it. And, if the rack is bad, it doesn't really matter if it's bad for it. It might not be all that good for the column, but just be careful & don't turn the wheel when stopped. So did you find where the leak is coming from?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for finding that, I'll probably just replace the whole rack since I've had a few people tell me its a bitch to tear apart and has to come out anyway

·
Registered
999 Posts
Properly performed repairs are just as good as parts replacement. If the brass tank radiator fails in my Shelby Charger, I'll get it repaired for <$100 and have a better radiator than a new plastic tank unit. Just an example.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts