Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, 1986 Chrysler Laser XE, I was on my way back home from Pep Boys getting a brake light and I was hard on the throttle, suddenly I lost RPM, no throttle response. I quick pulled off to the side of the road and down a back road. This is the second time this happened. First time was about 4 months ago, I pulled over, threw some oil in it (first reaction but it seemed to work) and it fired up, this time it wouldn't start, just cranked. You can hear the Fuel pump prime but when you goto start it shuts off, my oil pressure gauge doesn't move. My buddy who was with me tested the Oil Pressure switch and the ground side was receiving voltage. Are we correct to say that I need a new Oil pressure switch, or is the problem something else? Something deeper involved. :bang head any ideas? :bang head

Also is this the Oil Pressure Switch? that's what we where testing, I'm not 100% sure, but my buddy seemed confident.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
The small one is for the idiot oil light. The big one is the oil pressure for the gauge cluster.

Neither of them can prevent your car starting. You have a different issue.

Do you have a spare HEP sensor? I'd start there.

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
did you verify that the distributor is turning?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys, im less stressed out now. ill test it tomrrow morning, thanks again

·
Administrator
25,144 Posts
If your engine shut off because of a lack of oil the engine would probably not crank.
Chances are you have timing belt issue or HEP circuit issue.
Follow the posted diagnostics and post what you find.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts