Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bone stock 1990 dodge daytone es 2.5 Turbo I common block. It has the smaller mitsubishi turbo.

Someone local is selling an 88 Shelby Daytona Z 2.2 Turbo II that has a Super 60 turbo on it.

My question is:

Can I buy their car, take the super 60 off, and bolt it right into my existing engine, replacing the mitsubishi turbo?

Would everything fit into the engine compartment? Would all the coolant/oil lines fit, etc...

Would I lose the oxygen sensor?

And, should I keep my existing 2.5 turbo I swingvalve? Its a 3" swingvalve right?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
It is an easy swap, everything will swap over. You cannot use the 2.5" mits sv on the garrett. The sv on the garrett will have the O2 provision. You can even grab the IC Rad and swap it all over.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The coolant and oil lines will fit, but you will have to swap them, the mitsu lines are differant than the S60. The S60 lines are the same as a garrett.

The S60 should? have a 2.5" swingvalve which will make it a direct bolt on to your existing exhaust. The mitsu is a 2.5" swingvalve but does not bolt up to a S60 housing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 3" on my S60. I like it but I can't really compare it to a 2.5", I switched from a stock Mitsu to the Super60 with the 3 inch SV on it allready.

I have looked at the dyno charts from turbos unleashed and it sure looks like it makes a big differance, However besides buying the 3 inch SV you also need to purchase a downpipe as well, it starts getting pretty expensive at that point. Although they do sell an adapter to run a 2.5" down pipe on a 3 inch sv but then whats the point unless you can only afford to do them one at a time.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The only 3" swingvalves are the ones from Turbos Unleashed (unless you fabricate your own). They fit all the TD garrett turbos which includes the S60 you are referring to. Don't get a 3" swingvalve if you don't have a 3" downpipe and 3" exhaust, unless you're planning on changing the exhaust also.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
the i/c rad from a 87-89 car won't bolt into a 90 tona.
Probably not directly, but you can definitely make it work. You should swap the whole I/C setup over and turn up the boost.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts