Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have an 89 Daytona Shelby and a 94 Shadow all base...I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the suspension matches up from one car to the other. What I'm looking to do is take all the good springs and struts and whatever else might be on the Daytona off, and put it on to the Shadow. Reason being because the Daytona is all rusted out and the Shadow is pretty clean and I'm straightening all the panels and repainting it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Legendary Driver
10,888 Posts
the shocks and struts and springs will bolt over without issues. But you'll probably want to keep the spindles, a-arms, kframe that's on your shadow on your shadow. The rear axle assembly is slightly different as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, cool, thanks. Do you know if I would be able to switch the disc brakes also? and how would I do that since the rear axle is different?

·
Legendary Driver
10,888 Posts
The rear discs will swap over, you just pull everything off the rear axle down to the stub axles and bolt it onto your shadow. The difference is is the length of the rear axle. It is slightly longer on 90+ cars.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
no...swap the better rear axle along with the brake system (still a good idea to repack the bearings for peace of mind). drop the shackles from the uni-body and disconnect the brakes at the same point and do it all as an assembly. the shelby rear axle has a 57.6" track that matches the front whereas most non CS spec rear axles measured 57.2" and has a hollow integral sway bar instead of the solid one on the shelby/cs package.

as for the front....grab the big sway bar. you might have to mix and match bushings since the outer bushings are different on the 91+ control arms. but the big bar slims down at the ends so it shouldn't be too hard to tweak things to work.

to get the 11" front brakes on your car and keep your newer style arms and matching knuckles, get the calipers and caliper brackets off an early 90's grand caravan with 15" wheels. the van rotors are drilled for a larger bolt pattern but your 89 daytona front rotors will go right on. basically you have made a 91-93 iroc/rt big brake setup (thanks mopar for parts bin engineering)

as stated above, swap the springs and struts depending on condition and to get the ride height you want (i don't care to lower the rear on these cars).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Have a good look at the trailing arm mounting brackets, the 94 will definitely have the later bracket that is longer & wider & makes use of a trailing arm bushing to match. The 89 chassis will more than likely have the older shorter/narrower bracket that makes use of a narrow bushing. You'll have to decide whether you want to knock out the *old style* trailing arm bushings in favor of inserting the newer design or rework the older style bracket by lengthening it (fabrication) & drilling the two new holes needed to mount it under the 94 chassis. Personally, I like the older style bracket/bushing as it is a tighter close quarters fit in the bracket housing.
I swapped in a Lancer Shelby rear axle into my Shadow two years ago and I modded the old style bracket to fit under the 92 chassis.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
this is the first time i ever heard that the trailing arms on the rear axle were a different length on the newer cars and i have been reading these forums for years. i know they changed the bushing size/style. only later K chassis car i've had was a 91 dynasty and i never got into modding it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts