Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am in need of a good daily driver that gets good mpg. I currently have a 91 caravan with a N/A 2.5 w/ 5sp (not running) and an 88 caravan with a turbo 2.5 & auto (blown head gasket). What I would like to do is combine the turbo engine and manual tranny. My question is this... would it be easier putting the manual tranny in the 88 or putting the turbo engine in the 91???

·
Registered
898 Posts
probably the tranny in the turbo van.

the ecu and fuel system are already there for the turbo, and would be more work to swap.

you can try the tranny, im not exactly sure how strong it is, beings its a NA tranny.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Swapping the tranny to the turbo van is easier. I also wouldn't worry about the tranny being a 523. Unless your turbo engine is really modded and putting out alot of torque the tranny will be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The turbo engine is bone stock. I am more concerned with mpg then hp ( man Im getting old!) How much of a pain will it be to swap out the pedals and shifter?? That is the only thing tahat worries me.
Also is there any mods I can do to increase the mpg on my turbo engine?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Also is there any mods I can do to increase the mpg on my turbo engine?
Yeah, take the turbo off. :rolleyes:

Underdrive pulley would increase mpg. Leaning out the fuel a little bit would help. Not sure if an intercooler would help. Weight reduction would be big plus. Opening up the exhaust would decrease some of the restriction and improve your mpg as long as you don't take advantage of the HP gain.

·
Banned
3 Posts
turbo vans get great gas mileage anyways, drive it easy and you'll hardly ever push the gas more than a 1/8th pedal, but yeah weight reduction and a bigger exhaust will bump up the mpg.

as far as the 5 speed swap, i've done it and its not bad, you'll need the pedal assembly with the rod that goes through it and the metal basket that supports it, you'll also need the obvious, tranny, shifter setup, cables and cable brackets (on the strut tower) it will idle a little weird when you brake hard with the auto ecu, but it will be fine if you dont swap in a 5spd turbo ecu. go to Donovan's Dodge Garage gary has pics and a write up on the steps of doing the exact same swap.

manual minis are more fun, people are like WTF?? if the interiors match swap out the column too to get rid of the shifter, that is a easy swap also.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you get a stand alone ecu, you can also tune that to give you the best gas mileage and rering the engine if it has low compression.

There's a lot of little stuff that you can also do that's not so involved...skinnier tires, bigger diameter tires, high air pressure in the tires, full synthetic in trans and engine, less restrictive intake, less restrictive exhaust, I would think that a bigger intercooler would help, new air filter...

·
Banned
3 Posts
or a trim cal ecu, ditch the balance shafts in the oil pan, remove all the plastic and carpet to remove all the insulation and padding, nitrogen filled tires, etc.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
easy on the pedal and make sure all your vacuum lines are routed and new airfilter

·
Registered
137 Posts
When I put a MTX into my 92 Voyager I discovered that I didn't have to swap the whole pedal assembly. I was able to just swap the piviot pins to get the clutch pedal on the existing bracket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts