Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering picking up a 1988 plymouth reliant wagon in the hopes of doing a t1 swap. i have all of the parts sitting around so it shouldnt be too much to deal with. my question is if the auto trans can handle boost. i havent looked at it yet but from a quick parts search it either has an A404 or A670. I dont want to do a manual swap because the car is very clean and mostly original. but the motor is bad and i have a spare turbo motor lying around. any hep is appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,969 Posts
I am considering picking up a 1988 plymouth reliant wagon in the hopes of doing a t1 swap. i have all of the parts sitting around so it shouldnt be too much to deal with. my question is if the auto trans can handle boost. i havent looked at it yet but from a quick parts search it either has an A404 or A670. I dont want to do a manual swap because the car is very clean and mostly original. but the motor is bad and i have a spare turbo motor lying around. any hep is appreciated.
Your 88 Reliant has neither a A404 or A670 in it, it has a A413 (31TH)

A404 was used on the 1.7L VW engine (and possible others till 81) in the Omni/Horizon lineup

A670 was used only on 3.0 V6 cars/vans

The A413 is technically a strengthened A404 but parts between them are not interchangeable.

Turbo I cars were offered with the A413 in stock form, although I believe those Turbo equipment transaxles were alittle beefier for some internals, at least there certainly is a weight difference between a TBI A413 and Turbo A413! 87-up A413's are stronger than pre-87 which is good for you.

Check this link out, for helpful info and advise on A413 upgrades

DDG- The Transmission Guide

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@yellownoma Thanks for the info! This will be a huge help in deciding whether to buy it or not. Also thats odd that the 2 part numbers in identifix are both wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
+1 A413 ..

depending on your goals for the engine & car:

the stock 'N/A' A413 will certainly 'live' behind a stock(ish) TI ..
may even live a while if you dont do one-wheel peels or otherwise beat on it

a 'shift-kit', cooler, and diff pin retainers would be my first upgrade for reliability &/or to handle a bit more Hp

>200Hp or so and you're looking to more expensively 'build' your A413 to handle it .. whether its an N/A or a OE 'Turbo' ..

the Turbos got a higher stall torque converter (TC) iirc?

also, depending on what 'transfer gears' that has (and yur goals), you may wish to swap those.. pretty easy ..

(I've got extra A413 stuff including a complete 88 'Turbo' A413 with TC, a 'high-stall' TC, various internal & external bits, ... lmk if yu need/want anything)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts