Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Lately i bought a Chrysler Daytona with a base 2.5L engine, and with it i got a 2.5L turbo and a a523 transmission.
I want to swap the turbo engine and transmission into my base Daytona, but i've never done something like this and i would like to know what parts i need for this.
What kind of ECU and electric harness do i need, do i have to change something in my exhaust system like a different catalytic converter, etc.
Would be happy to see some answers

·
Administrator
25,653 Posts
Welcome To TD!!!

Did you get the electronics and underhood wiring harness along with the 2.5L turbo engine?

Is your vehicle currently a manual trans car or an auto trans car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t have neither of those.
Could electronics and wiring harness be borrowed from 2.2 turbo?
Are those hard to find and could i somehow modify my current wiring from base 2.5?
My current trans is a 5 speed manual

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The year of the Daytona would help.

Are you wanting to turbocharge the Base Daytona or just replace the Engine?

Thanks
Randy

·
Administrator
25,653 Posts
You have to use a 2.5L Engine Controller, the Fuel and Spark Advance Curves are different than a 2.2L turbo.

You will need a turbo wiring harness, everything will be different between a TBI and Turbo engine, with the turbo engine you are adding additional/different components...
The Engine Controller, Injectors, Baro and Wastegate Solenoids, Knock Sensor, TPS and AIS wiring, HEP wiring (going from a single connector to a dual connector).

You will also need to find a Baro Solenoid, Wastegate Solenoid, Turbo Map Sensor, Turbo Distributor W/HEP (if it is not in the engine), I do not know if the engine mounts are the same between TBI and Turbo, (you will have more torque with the turbo, are old TBI mounts ok for the additional load?)

You will probably have to change the downpipe to fit the turbo exhaust outlet, turbo downpipe is 2 1/2" diameter.
The 2.5L Turbo 1 uses a smaller Mitsubishi turbo, you cannot remove exhaust backpressure by going to a larger, more free flowing exhaust/muffler than what was on the turbo car from the factory or the small Mitsubishi turbo will overspool/overboost.

You will also need to install a vacuum block since the vacuum routing is completely different.
Schematic Font Parallel Rectangle Plan
Schematic Font Slope Parallel Rectangle

For a project like this, these will be your best friends...

While you have it apart be sure your shifter cables are OK...Common Problem, do not want to see you stranded.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
The simplest way is to obtain a complete 1992 Daytona 2.5 Turbo Engine wiring harness with SBEC.

This will be essentially plug in and run along with substituting the TBI fuel pump with a turbo version.

A 1988-91 Daytona complete Engine wiring harness could be adapted if that's all that's available.

1988-92 SOHC Engine wiring is all essentially the same, it's the computer SMEC or SBEC that differs.

A 1988 2.2 Turbo I SMEC actually runs a 2.5 Turbo Engine fine, T-II SMEC requires + 20 injectors

The 1992 base should already have a 523 transmission but there are a couple of final drive ratios.

There are two input spline counts and your 1992 should be the large one.

You didn't mention the year of the 2.5 Turbo Engine and trans.

The 2.5 Turbo Engine was used from 1989 to 1992, all interchange

The A 523 was used from 1990 to 1992 and all interchange.

The Engine is a direct fit and the trans may require a small spline clutch disc.

I'm guessing you are somewhere in Europe??

Thanks
Randy
My daytona is 92
I want to replace my engine with a turbocharged one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to use a 2.5L Engine Controller, the Fuel and Spark Advance Curves are different than a 2.2L turbo.

You will need a turbo wiring harness, everything will be different between a TBI and Turbo engine, with the turbo engine you are adding additional/different components...
The Engine Controller, Injectors, Baro and Wastegate Solenoids, Knock Sensor, TPS and AIS wiring, HEP wiring (going from a single connector to a dual connector).

You will also need to find a Baro Solenoid, Wastegate Solenoid, Turbo Map Sensor, Turbo Distributor W/HEP (if it is not in the engine), I do not know if the engine mounts are the same between TBI and Turbo, (you will have more torque with the turbo, are old TBI mounts ok for the additional load?)

You will probably have to change the downpipe to fit the turbo exhaust outlet, turbo downpipe is 2 1/2" diameter.
The 2.5L Turbo 1 uses a smaller Mitsubishi turbo, you cannot remove exhaust backpressure by going to a larger, more free flowing exhaust/muffler than what was on the turbo car from the factory or the small Mitsubishi turbo will overspool/overboost.

You will also need to install a vacuum block since the vacuum routing is completely different.
View attachment 277877 View attachment 277878

For a project like this, these will be your best friends...
[/URL][/URL]

While you have it apart be sure your shifter cables are OK...Common Problem, do not want to see you stranded.
Big thanks for the post! For now I’ll have to plan and see what parts i have to buy. I’ll also try to get my hands on these manuals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The simplest way is to obtain a complete 1992 Daytona 2.5 Turbo Engine wiring harness with SBEC.

This will be essentially plug in and run along with substituting the TBI fuel pump with a turbo version.

A 1988-91 Daytona complete Engine wiring harness could be adapted if that's all that's available.

1988-92 SOHC Engine wiring is all essentially the same, it's the computer SMEC or SBEC that differs.

A 1988 2.2 Turbo I SMEC actually runs a 2.5 Turbo Engine fine, T-II SMEC requires + 20 injectors

The 1992 base should already have a 523 transmission but there are a couple of final drive ratios.

There are two input spline counts and your 1992 should be the large one.

You didn't mention the year of the 2.5 Turbo Engine and trans.

The 2.5 Turbo Engine was used from 1989 to 1992, all interchange

The A 523 was used from 1990 to 1992 and all interchange.

The Engine is a direct fit and the trans may require a small spline clutch disc.

I'm guessing you are somewhere in Europe??

Thanks
Randy
The Turbocharged engine and transmission are from 92 as well.
Yes I live in Europe, exactly in Poland, and it‘s kinda hard to find a daytona with a 2.5L turbo engine near my country, but I’ll keep on looking.

Thanks for the reply

1 - 9 of 9 Posts