Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I install a 1986 or newer turbo distributor into an 1984 Dodge Daytona turbo? I know they are different, but what will be the consequences of changing them? Will the car still run properly?

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
really? I did it on my 1984 turbo daytona and 1985 S/C and it worked fine. I had a lot of problems with the old distibutors shearing the rotor/vane key, so I installed the newer bigger distributor and never had a problem

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wish I had an older LM to swap in and try it on and do some datalogging. I have heard that older cars will run with the newer dist... The dists are different and it should throw a code. The older cars would run with faulty HEPs by reverting back to a base timing so I assume this is something similar...

If they are the same then why won't an 86+ car run with the older style dist?

-Rich

·
Registered
252 Posts
HEP is different on 86+ cars. I thought if you change the HEP on the 86 to your 84 in should work. All 2.2 dist.... should be the same except for the HEP electronics.

·
Registered
673 Posts
HEP is different on 86+ cars. I thought if you change the HEP on the 86 to your 84 in should work. All 2.2 dist.... should be the same except for the HEP electronics.
The change is inclusive to 86 so the 86 car will have the short fat distributor cap.

-Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts