Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding my T III engine after the dreaded rod knock. I disassembled the head except for the valve springs. I want the head ported and i know a guy here in houston who is one of the best but i also read that LWP does a really good job and i have already emailed him about the regrinds but had no idea they also port the head. Should i put it back togrther and ship the whole thing? Anyone have their head done with them? :drinking:

· Registered
2,388 Posts
I am rebuilding my T III engine after the dreaded rod knock. I disassembled the head except for the valve springs. I want the head ported and i know a guy here in houston who is one of the best but i also read that LWP does a really good job and i have already emailed him about the regrinds but had no idea they also port the head. Should i put it back togrther and ship the whole thing? Anyone have their head done with them? :drinking:
I had my head welded and rebuilt and the cams regroud by LW and am very happy with their work. Considering how unique these heads are and how much experience Wallace has with them, I would never send mine anywhere else.

· Registered
669 Posts
^^ Same here. ^^ I've had Wallace rebuild/port my head on the Spirit R/T I'm rebuilding and am very impressed with the quality of his work and how well he takes care of his customers.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i just put in a call to them.. now i want at least a stage two with a ported exhaust and intake.. can't wait to talk to them... i will be putting .20 over venolias and hopefully the aftermarket rods from cindy, i am not sure about those though, anyone put these in their engine? Anyone have any other suggestions because i need to have this thing running by the end of may and info is always king. I want this thing to be right because it is also my daily driver, luckily i have my motorcycle:thumb: and my wifes minivan:rolleyes: until i get it running again.

· Registered
669 Posts
now i want at least a stage two with a ported exhaust and intake..
Word of advice from actual experience: check on the end of the head where the cam gears are and see if the head has any letters/numbers imprinted on it. If it's blank, it's a Mopar/Lotus casting, and Stage 2 will be fine, HOWEVER, if you see a set of letters that says "Dunn", only do stage 1.

I tried to use a Dunn head with a Stage 2 port and I had nothing but headaches with it leaking coolant into the cylinders because the P&P made the walls of the coolant passages in the head too thin that they crack and leak.

· Registered
2,388 Posts
Well i just put in a call to them.. now i want at least a stage two with a ported exhaust and intake.. can't wait to talk to them... i will be putting .20 over venolias and hopefully the aftermarket rods from cindy, i am not sure about those though, anyone put these in their engine? Anyone have any other suggestions because i need to have this thing running by the end of may and info is always king. I want this thing to be right because it is also my daily driver, luckily i have my motorcycle:thumb: and my wifes minivan:rolleyes: until i get it running again.
No offense, but I think getting it running by May is probably not going to happen. I am sure Wallace is busy as always, plus any sort of custom build like this takes a lot of time. I got my build done from pulling the motor to driving it on the streets in about 10 months which I thought was pretty quick.

As for the rods Cindy sells, what sort of power levels are you looking for? Stock T3 rods are pretty stout considering they have survived 500hp and consistant 11 second passes.

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so i don't need the rods i will just have mine checked and resized. I really meant end of may beginning of june. I hope i can have it at least by the end of june. Oh well can't rush perfection! Going to pm wallace right now.

· Premium Member
770 Posts
Word of advice from actual experience: check on the end of the head where the cam gears are and see if the head has any letters/numbers imprinted on it. If it's blank, it's a Mopar/Lotus casting, and Stage 2 will be fine, HOWEVER, if you see a set of letters that says "Dunn", only do stage 1.
I tried to get a price from a local guy for my head but they didn't list the TIII in his books. He asked me to get the casting #.

Anyone have a casting # that i can give him just to quote me or tell me where on the head I can find it?

Thanks...

Moe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.