Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, as most of you know i am rebuilding an 87 daytona. i got the sealant stuff worked out and am doing the paint. but looking at the T top trim I am a bit confused. I have always thought the T tops were painted semi gloss black. but it looks to me like a really dark gray matalic.so what was the color from the factory? most everyone i see paints them black.

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
the grey is oxidization

get the turtle wax scratch remover and give the trim a workin over

this will remove the grey and polish the black plastic better than you would think

trust me - did mine and the plastic shines like new if not so bad as to be pitted

the only painted piece is tha aluminum one on the edge of the glass panels- polish it with the turtle wax scratch remover too - it should match when all is done

this actually takes way less effort than you might think - you should be able to have the trim done in an hour or two

resist the urge to paint the plastic - all it needs is regular cleaning with the scratch remover

the stuff in the skiny green bottle

no , seriously ..

the finish was always high gloss black plastic

shoot me a pm if you wanna see a pic of a part done before / after - takes me 5 min - no prob

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the grey is oxidization

get the turtle wax scratch remover and give the trim a workin over

this will remove the grey and polish the black plastic better than you would think

trust me - did mine and the plastic shines like new if not so bad as to be pitted

the only painted piece is tha aluminum one on the edge of the glass panels- polish it with the turtle wax scratch remover too - it should match when all is done

this actually takes way less effort than you might think - you should be able to have the trim done in an hour or two

resist the urge to paint the plastic - all it needs is regular cleaning with the scratch remover

the stuff in the skiny green bottle

no , seriously ..

the finish was always high gloss black plastic

shoot me a pm if you wanna see a pic of a part done before / after - takes me 5 min - no prob
the plastic is pretty pitted. i had to use filler primer to fill in the pits. and because my tona is black i think i will just go with the semi gloss black to give it a bit of contrast!! thanks!!

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Yea they were black. Its the ABS Plastic that turns that mettalic silver over the years. Sunlight fades it, and makes it brittle.

Jsut dont break them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts