Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
part of this style coil cam go bad. What cylinder or cylinders are you loosing? I had a ford 4.6 last year have an issue with half of one of its 2 coils. I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me for an R/T coil but each half of that coil should have separate wires firing it. What is your car doing to make you think coil issues? and what cylinder or cylinders do you have issues with?
Tim

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
There are also 2 fault codes for coil #1 and coil # 2 primary circuit.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im losing #4 haven't checked anyother on but do u think it can be a wire problem or just bad coil's.I've tried 2 and the same thing

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm getting code 43.I think it's just the coil because this wiring harness is un touched so I've been looking at all the forums and noone had a direct answer or didn't finish there post about how they fixed it.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update When I first start the car (92 spirit rt) the voltage is little high then the middel of the car and when it warms up it quit's runnung like sh*t and I have spark?and my voltage goes down to the middel like it should be?I have no ideal what is going on with this car lol.Lifters are kinda loud but hopefully they qiute down some when driving.White smoke comes out of the exhaust,not sure if it's head gasket related it brand new mopar headgasket so keep fingers crossed.I'm hoping it's old valve stem seals and I hope they soften up and not smoke at all but theres no antifrezze in the oil but just letting everyone know the update

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
First I can give you diagnostics for code 43 except that Chrysler stopped assigning fault code #'s in 1990 so my 1992 T3 Powertrain Diagnostics has all codes listed by description, not fault code #, also Alldata lists it the same way so... what is code 43?
11"HG is extremly low, I am surprised you are not running extremly rich due to the lack of vacuum to the Map Sensor.
How do you know oil pressure is low?
The only way you will be able to check Cam timing is to bring #1 up to TDC on a compression stroke and be sure the Cams are aligned properly.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stock gauge is what im going off of.Right now the motor runs good takes gas well but have nosiy lifters but i'll keep updating

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
The vacuum is an issue but when you say it is losing cylinder 4 are all the other 3 good? I assume you swapped wires from other cylinders and checked and swapped plugs around and its still number 4? Have you done a compression check to 4?
The following is thoughts in my head and I haven't had a chance to look anything up. But there is 2 drivers for 4 cylinders so it should be double firing the plugs. Once on compression and again on exhaust. So when 4 fires the coil will also fire another cylinder at the same time. If you look at the coil you should be able to see the split to make pairs. The other cylinder on that half should be its rocking couple. If you have ever had the head off and rotated the engine 2 pistons always come up together They are rocking couples. On a 4 cylinder it is 1 and 4 then 2 and 3. Or another way to determine this is to take the firing order and split it. The firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2.
Take the first half of a firing order and write it down then write the second half under the first half and the rocking couples are up and down.
1, 3
4, 2
swap the wires on the coil between 1 and 4 and see if the problem moves to 1.
Tim

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I redid my timing belt and now I'm getting 15-16in of vac so Is that good?The car still starts up funny but after it runs for a min or 2.Number 3&4 will start firing?So intell I get the money for a new coil I'll just live with it.I wonder If it has a cal In it just like the stage 5 for the 87 where it has a hard time starting but when you get it started runs great?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
It does batch fire the plugs.
Did you change the coil inputs around? I almost want to say it sounds like a coil driver int he ecm going out. I have a my new cal sitting in my garage with the same problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts