Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had my 180k miles silver R/T up to 135 three times in the last month. I've backed down due to stability problems, but there was still room for more.

·
Registered
584 Posts
They're both drag limited (if you do the math on the gearing, at redline you're up much higher).

The previous owner of my silver R/T (Neil's pal Jason) has said that he topped it out at 146mph.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Where, in that part of the world, do you have a road straight and smooth enough to try that? :) Seriously not an issue in a place where you might see another car every 40 miles (maybe I'm a hermit), but the east coast does not have that many roads conducive to such a stunt ;)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm...interesting... I found this top speed calculator on beretta.net and came up with this:

Is it just me, or is that quite a bit off? :confused:

·
Registered
584 Posts
nemiro said:
Where, in that part of the world, do you have a road straight and smooth enough to try that? :) Seriously not an issue in a place where you might see another car every 40 miles (maybe I'm a hermit), but the east coast does not have that many roads conducive to such a stunt ;)
Neil,

You've been in a car with Jason driving? 'nuff said.

That, and, there are good stretches of I-90 and I-81 here upstate where there isn't much traffic.

-Dan

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well the factory speedo is not the most accurate thing ever made. Anybody ever had their t3 car clocked by .........um..........police radar? and if so how much did it ....um.......cost you? :eek:

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
According to the guy with the STI I was screwing with, he said we were doing 145 (going by his word) His speedo goes alot higher than mine, and the RT didnt seem to be having a wind problem or power problem. But my car isnt stock by any means, its got a modded suspension, lowered, and is running high boost.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
The R/T was tested at 142 mph, trust me its like driving a bowl of Jello at that speed. After I lowered the car with the Eibach springs, I was goofing with a Supra on the Interstate I was buried on the speedo when I hammered it and pulled away by 1/4 mile, he followed me to Wal-Mart and asked how fast I was going, I told him I didnt know but somewhere south of 120, he said when I took off he was at 140. Now the car felt much more stable with the Eibachs on at that speed. DONT DO WHAT I DID, IT WAS STUPID AND DANGEROUS....

·
Registered
403 Posts
Dan-
Never had ridden with Jason. Sounds like I might be lucky that I haven't :)

As for the speed calculator, I don't remember the 568 having a .71 5th, but I could be wrong. It's been too long.

The most stable K platform cars at speed seem to be the P-bodies. Having had the whole collection of Shelby cars, TD's, and R/T's, nothing was as stable as my 87 and 88 CSX's. The 87 CSX, with it's 3.50 FD seemed to just go down the road fine at 135. At one point, I think a GPS showed us at 163 in that car. It wasn't as stable as it was at 100, but it was a lot smoother than you would think. My 88 was a bit more, um, modified. In my young and dumb days (ie, before children), if it didn't pass 130 every day, I must not have been feeling good. I used to spin that TIII well over 9k on a very regular basis. At the Shelby Grand Opening (2 weeks before the car was destroyed), we spent the entire 15 minutes on the LV Speedway oval in 3rd gear. Something about four guys in a CSX, passing big block Mustangs on the outside (yeah!) at 9,000 rpm is rather intimidating to those folks ;) Anyway, you have to remember that rated speeds, and what the car could actually do, are two different things. If the car was rated as being capable of passing the 150 mark, insurance rates would skyrocket.

Basking_In_The_Glory_Days_Mode=OFF

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not sure as to the real top speed. But once I was in a 4 was race on I75 with my 91 Sprit R/T with a z06, 3000GT VR4, and some 7 series BMW. Needless to say, the Z06 was definietly faster, and the spirit was second. Anyway, the speedo only goes to 120 and I was past 6000 rpm in 5th. It took about 14 sec for the speedo to start registering again after I got off the throttle. But at those speeds. I was surprised at the smoothness for such an old car with stock suspension. The best part was the look on the face of the guy in the VR4. He just had an opened jaw befuddled stare at the spirit. :D

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was in Marietta,GA on I75 going home from Indiana in 94 and was off the gas after racing a Volvo T5R and was promptly arrested for 123mph in a 55 with my wife in the car. I pleaded insanity and was released!! Actually had to pay a lawyer $750 to get me off!! I was definately going about 10-15 mph faster before I let off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts