Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lately i have been having this problem with my 89 shadow. Its a turbo 5spd with the 2.5l. It seems to have this problem anywhere from 5 seconds to 3 minutes after start up and will continue until you shut it off. sometiimes it does it and othertimes it wont, but lately its more frequent. The tach will start jumping all over the place like up and down within 500-1000 rpm of where it was when driving and will cause the engine to misfire. It will do this while idling or driving. It was getting so bad (shuttering) that the alternator would stop charging and would show a code 47, battery below target voltage. I have tried swapping coils, coil wires, checking the plastic rivets in the distributor, cleanin the cap and rotor even unbolting and cleaning all the grounds with sandpaper including the connectors on the alternator. It seemed to help a little doing the grounds yesterday, and it drove fine this afternoon but started to shutter again while driving home from work. so does anyone have an idea to where they can point me next? any help would be appreciated as i do like the car and how fun it is and would like to beat that guys bmw before winter with my $500 car(pretty even race last time).

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Were any fault codes set in memory?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
started and ran the car for 5 minutes, the tach started jumpin and misfired after like 30 seconds. Turned it off and checked for codes a code 12 (codes cleared within last 50-100 key ons?) and 54(distributor sync pickup). Thats the first time ive seen those . So thats the hep then? well i guess ill start checkin prices. thanks for the quick responses.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
check the hep wires for shorts cuts abrasion, loose connectors etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, i did check the wires and stuff and everything looked good with no abrasions or open wires. I also took the connectors apart and everything looked clean and shiny inside them. Ill try replacing the hep and see where that goes and hopefully thats the fix.

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
Mopar is recommended,a lot of problems with aftermarket HEP's.
Also do not bend the wiring down the side of the distributor as the factory had it. The small wires are very fragile and they will break internally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well yesterday i went ahead and bought one from the local parts store. I put it on today and the car is still doing the same thing. Im thinking of going through the full wire harness tonight and seeing if i can find any bad spots. Man this is annoying. I also was hearing static through the radio, and i know that is usually ignition related, but could there be anything else that could cause this type of problem?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Check your grounds to the engine too. There is one usually to the firewall to the intake manifold behind the pass side, also there is a "clip on" one on the pass side motor mount.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok i looked at the mount, there is no wire there, but just the connector. where are there other grounds that are hidden around the engine bay? does anyone have a pic of that?

·
Administrator
24,830 Posts
You said that you had a code 47 which is a charging fault and you have radio noise which could be a faulty diode in the Alternator.The Contoller circuits operate on DC voltage and a faulty diode will allow AC voltage in the system and electrical noise caused by a faulty component such as an Alternator can cause false voltages in a circuit that is picked up by the controller.
When I was in training back in the 80's the cars that were brought in for diagnostics were rigged with faulty components and an Alternator with a faulty diode was one.Most techs did not even bother to check since Alternator output was normal, needless to say the question came up from the instructor's "are you sure that is all that is wrong" and then we were shown the faulty diode.We used a scope to look at diode patterns but you would have to check by hand with your DVOM on diode test.
Just something else for you to keep in mind when dealing with electrical gremlins.
Do not overlook the obvious,connector mating,loose, dirty, corroded, damaged terminals and poor grounds.
Electricity is very lazy and will look for the Easiest path to ground even if that is thru another circuit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts