Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so who thinks my engine will last for 1000 more miles at 14psi? especially those who know of my recent piston cracking and shadowy undetectable detonation.....

i just took the plugs out today and took pictures (different thread), they look fine. boost is now set to 14psi. checked compression today its 130 130 140 140.

at 14psi its making about 225whp and 284wtq according to one of my dyno runs

sooo....is it gonna blow or not?

if it lasts 1000 miles im gunna say its time to go all the way with 25 psi (bit by bit) and the stage 5 computer, fuel pump, blah blah blah

(yes i know nobody really gives a crap but i need to get this out of my head because all i think about when im flooring it is WAIT FOR THE BOOM)

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New hep (not mopar though) with soldered connections. Fuel injection harness connector replaced with soldered connections.

I dare this sensor to fail on me. I am betting that 90% of all hep failures are related to the connectors failing or being intermittent, which is why non-mopar sensors appear to fail so soon. When I just plugged in this new non-mopar sensor, it failed too almost immediately. The connectors are just worn out on the engine side.

I dont see why the sensors (the pickups on the plastic disk) would fail after a short amount of time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
my car lasted 5 months at compresion of 100 psi on all 4 cylinders at 22 psi, and only failed when a bad HEP caused detonation and broke a piston ring. getting 100,100,100,0 compresion after, still drove it for 2 months longer untill the clutch started to slip

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OKAY..its been 300 miles, about 1.25 tanks of 91 octane...boost has been set to 14 psi and the car has been driven without mercy..

did compression test today, engine has been sitting for about two hours after being driven hard, so its still a little warm

all cylinders 120 to 125 psi after 7 cranks, thats down from 130 130 140 140 a week ago (300 miles ago)..wonder why...

took plugs out and took a couple pictures....

i guess things are going okay..im waiting until 1000 miles and then im going all the way with 25 psi (bit by bit of course) and everything else

Attachments

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ouch, isn't dropping that much compression in 300 miles bad? Or is this a new build and is normal? I'm learneding! :D

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its not really a new build..the motor as a whole has 3500 miles on it since it was completely rebuilt, but its only been about 300 miles since a piston cracked and was replaced with a new piston and rings

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
block was rebuilt 3500 miles ago, probably had 130,000+ miles on it, pistons are oversized .030 cast mahle

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
engine is still around, and definitely has more than 1000 miles on it

compression is down to 110 to 115psi per cylinder. seems to have plateaued here because i last measurd it about 1000 miles ago and.

OH...and the engine survived *13* nearly consecutive hot-laps on an 1/8 mile drag track at *19* psi...spark plugs showed no damage and compression has not changed...so im REALLY thinking theres no detonation

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
got home and retested compression PROPERLY (was not blocking throttle open, and was leaving injectors and spark plugs shooting fuel and lightning)

compression is 129 126 135 130

unfortunately this pretty much INVALIDATES all my previous compression numbers in this thread because I dont know how I had the test setup..and Im pretty sure i was NOT blocking the throttle OR unplugging the injectors

so how do I interpret this? cylinder #1 and #2 are out of spec (really #2...I mean #1 is 1psi low who cares)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts