Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 91 tbi Shadow. The computer I am using is an 89. I tore the harness out and made it to 89 specs. everything should be perfect. However, the car will not fire. I have spark as well as fuel pressure. My injectors don't seem to be turning on. I will figure that one out tomorrow hopefully. But i dumped some gas into each cylinder and the car still wont fire. It acts like it wants to but the most she does is pop a few times. It is almost like its outta time but i assure you it is not. Are there any things I am over looking or under looking? Has anyone done a tbi to turbo swap? Any help will be great thank you ahead of time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
this probably isnt the issue but, you need to use the whole turbo car distributor not just the hep, the trigger wheel is different

·
Banned
7,664 Posts
this probably isnt the issue but, you need to use the whole turbo car distributor not just the hep, the trigger wheel is different
Yes...this is absolutely true. I made this mistake once, Im not even sure the car would sputter with a TBI dist in a turbo car.

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
1)Distributor is a good thought, however...
If there is no fuel sync signal the ASD will not be actuated so there would not be any spark or fuel pressure which the OP says he has.

2)The Map Sensor is also different between a TBI and Turbo car.

3)Depending on the build date of your Shadow it may have a low pressure TBI or high pressure TBI.
91 1/2 Chrysler made the change from 15 PSI to 40 PSI TBI so once you correct your other issues you may have to replace the pump.
Turbo car requires 53-57 PSI across the injector tip under normal operating conditions, in boost rail pressure will increase even higher.

4)Be sure the vacuum system is routed/connected properly.

5)Be sure your main controller ground is connected, tight and bolted to clean surfaces.

6)No Start Diagnostics.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/358231-no-start-no-spark-84-90-a.html

7)Checking Cam/Ignition Timing
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/359212-cam-timing-belt-tension-84-95-a.html

8)Checking Fuel Pressure
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f14/358339-checking-fuel-pressure-84-93-turbo.html

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
Thank you NAJ. You are actual help. unlike the other geniuses on here that
know absolutely everything.
More than happy to help, however I feel the last comment was uncalled for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very uncalled for. I profusely apologize for loosing my cool. Wrenching on cars all week gets to you sometimes.

·
Administrator
25,540 Posts
I was a Service Tech for 33 years so I know how you feel when things do not go the way you expect and you get aggravated and frustrated.
I am fine with your apology, however your comments were not directed towards me.

I am not home on weekends so if you have questions or problems that arise on a weekend you will have to depend on the rest of the community to help you out, hopefully they are fine with your apology.
There are a lot of knowledgeable folks out there that have more experience and knowledge than me in other areas and they are more than willing to share that knowledge and experience with others.

Keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts