Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PUZZLE QUESTION: 89 TD 2.5 voyager... The van is very doggy.

I have a rebuilt (10 years ago) bottom end,

The 10K mile valve job head was off my old eng is now on this 70 mile bottom end (check out by machine shop).
The bottom end did have dome pistons, but i didnt check to see it was NA bottom end. Could i have got a NA bottom end? If so how would it run with turbo on it?

stats: compression in all cylinder 140- 145, fuel pressure after FPR is 45, I havnt checked vacuum yet (including wastegate), but did check for obvious leaks (none that i could determine), grainger boost valve in place (stock boost). ...Thoughts?
THX!

·
Administrator
24,276 Posts
There are a lot of things that can cause a loss of power/performance, you need to start with and verify ALL of the basics, nobody will be able to just tell you what the problem is, you will need to follow a logical diagnostic sequence.
1)Are any fault codes stored in memory?
2)Cam/Ignition Timing
3)Fuel Pressure (static/idle/under load/boost)
4)Ignition System
a)Using an Adjustable Spark Tester verify the system is capable of 25 KV minimum on all cylinders.
b)This will tell you if there is a problem with the Primary or Secondary Ignition system.
c)Just checking for spark will not tell you what the system is doing under load.
IGNITION - Adjustable Spark Tester.jpg
5)Map Sensor
a)Are you getting proper vacuum/pressure to the Baro Solenoid and from the Baro Solenoid to the Map Sensor under all operating conditions?
89 Turbo 1 Vacuum.jpg
6)Intake or Exhaust System Restrictions
a)Anything blocking the air intake?
b)Are all air charge hoses to/from the turbo intact/secured and not torn/cracked/collapsed?
c)Restricted exhaust/catalytic converter?

Any problems/questions/concerns Please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You mention dome pistons??

Possibly you meant dish as Turbo Engine should be deep dished, non Turbo a slight dish.

Retarded cam timing or wastegate arm off at swingvalve are 2 common low power issues.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PUZZLE QUESTION: 89 TD 2.5 voyager... The van is very doggy.

I have a rebuilt (10 years ago) bottom end,

The 10K mile valve job head was off my old eng is now on this 70 mile bottom end (check out by machine shop).
The bottom end did have dome pistons, but i didnt check to see it was NA bottom end. Could i have got a NA bottom end? If so how would it run with turbo on it?

stats: compression in all cylinder 140- 145, fuel pressure after FPR is 45, I havnt checked vacuum yet (including wastegate), but did check for obvious leaks (none that i could determine), grainger boost valve in place (stock boost). ...Thoughts?
THX!
.....................................................................................................................

A TD guy & i just spent some time fully timing it...runs great now thx!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts