Turbo Dodge Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright floks here are some pics of the 88 tt turbo v6 swap, I've got some video but i have to set up the you tube 4 it. I'll admit i need help on the tunin' so i'll ask some of you turbo vets as this is oly my second car build.....
so... first the before stuff.. then some mid stufff etc..

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got videos that I wanted to put on here, but for some reason the sd reader on this computer isin't working. Gonna go get my frinds camera and try to up load 'em again....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
honestly i don't know that much about megasquirt, besides tidbits i've read here and on trep.net. but for now it's just the stock ecu.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
What are your plans for the engine? Are you going to keep it stock or upgrade it for more power?

If you are staying in the stock RPM band, the factory ECU should work fine and if you need/want to add more fuel, you might want to look at using a "piggy-back" like the Greddy e-Manage (blue).

Mega-Squirts are nice, but the calibration can take some effort.

I have done both on the 3L V6.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Learned my lesson on the last build (after trying to mash 2 garetts under the hood) so this time I am attempting to do a rear mount setup as stated in some of my other posts, I removed the tank to make room for a 3" pipe that y's off for the inlet for each turbo.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are your plans for the engine? Are you going to keep it stock or upgrade it for more power?

If you are staying in the stock RPM band, the factory ECU should work fine and if you need/want to add more fuel, you might want to look at using a "piggy-back" like the Greddy e-Manage (blue).

Mega-Squirts are nice, but the calibration can take some effort.

I have done both on the 3L V6.
I've heard that it takes a "bit" of tuning to get it right, But hey i'm willing to give it a try. Originally i was going to go with the 3.0 because of the manual. Well that and my buddy had a wicked fast shadow. I only went with the 3.3 cause I got a killer deal on it.

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Learned my lesson on the last build (after trying to mash 2 garetts under the hood) so this time I am attempting to do a rear mount setup as stated in some of my other posts, I removed the tank to make room for a 3" pipe that y's off for the inlet for each turbo.
Rear mount! Yikes, I would think you would be better off with one larger turbo mounted on the crossover (not sure there is room to the rear of the engine unless you go with an Intrepid style intake.)

On my turbo 3L I am running a fairly large T3/T04B hybrid stage 3 exhaust. Physically it is not much larger than a Garrett from a 2.2/5, but flows way better...

If you have time to work on the tune, Mega-Squirt can be a good way to go. Seems like every case (mine included!) I have heard takes some time working out a couple bugs before the car is "driveable". Then there is time tweaking the calibration (ie. getting your butt out of bed early to tune the start-up on a sub-zero day.)

Ed Kelly - Kelly-Mulhern Performance

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rear mount! Yikes, I would think you would be better off with one larger turbo mounted on the crossover (not sure there is room to the rear of the engine unless you go with an Intrepid style intake.)

On my turbo 3L I am running a fairly large T3/T04B hybrid stage 3 exhaust. Physically it is not much larger than a Garrett from a 2.2/5, but flows way better...

If you have time to work on the tune, Mega-Squirt can be a good way to go. Seems like every case (mine included!) I have heard takes some time working out a couple bugs before the car is "driveable". Then there is time tweaking the calibration (ie. getting your butt out of bed early to tune the start-up on a sub-zero day.)

Ed Kelly - Kelly-Mulhern Performance
Better weight distro, on the 85 tried to run two ported te04's, don't need to tell you about mouting issues.... The rear turbo WILL NOT fit without mods to the firewall and even then it rubs the steering rack so that was a no go. I tried to fab a serial setup but as stated but that much piping gets a bit cramped in the bay. Then i tried using the dual tb intake of the trep (which is a bolt on) but since its tapered (angled) for the trep bay i had hood clearance/ throttle cable(s). The other way was to try to run 'em in parallel like on a tractor.... that worked but it is necessesary to use the "stubby" intake off the trep 3.3's. So this time i wanted to "try" the rear mount setup to better balance the car. Oil lines are a bit complicated but if squire can do it .....

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
a guy on here makes and sells a cross over tube turbo flang setup. Go with a single turbo, I would buy a late 90s HY 35 turbo for it.

Then add a EGT gauge under the turbo and a wide band. Adjust for for 12:1 WOT and bring timing up and down for 1450 degrees. Start with mild spark for a lower 1200 degrees max until the fueling map is done, then turn up the spark till the EGTs come up.

Looks real good though so far.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a guy on here makes and sells a cross over tube turbo flang setup. Go with a single turbo, I would buy a late 90s HY 35 turbo for it.

Then add a EGT gauge under the turbo and a wide band. Adjust for for 12:1 WOT and bring timing up and down for 1450 degrees. Start with mild spark for a lower 1200 degrees max until the fueling map is done, then turn up the spark till the EGTs come up.

Looks real good though so far.
Well here are some of those vids, I told you about. There will be more up I just gotta find the other sd card. but you can laugh @ the vids I posted on u-tube...
YouTube - yunzaX's Channel
Keep in mind this is in progress, but as for the turbo setup... I jammed two in the other (85)car, in series (like on a tractor, hint... hint..) but the engine bay was a "bit" cramped so heat was and is. this time I want to run dual and relocate the the tank to avoid all that excess heat into the engine bay. But send me the info any way i'll probably use it on the blue bomber.....

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
(not sure there is room to the rear of the engine unless you go with an Intrepid style intake.)
Stop giving away my secrets!:p

Then i tried using the dual tb intake of the trep (which is a bolt on)
the lower intake pattern on a 3.3 LOOKS the same as a 3.5 but it is not. That dual-tb plenum does not line up with the 3.3 ports.

Glad to see some PICS. Best of luck with the project.:thumb:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stop giving away my secrets!:p

the lower intake pattern on a 3.3 LOOKS the same as a 3.5 but it is not. That dual-tb plenum does not line up with the 3.3 ports.

Glad to see some PICS. Best of luck with the project.:thumb:
I found that out the hard way, and after researchin chewies info he had the same problems i did. There are new videos up on the youtube site to laugh at . But thanks more to come.!!!

·
Banned
580 Posts
What would really set that car off even more is a manual trans. Ever look into using a 2.7 Stratus manual trans? It'll bolt right up to the 3.3.

·
Banned
5,190 Posts
It's the same T850 used in the SRT4. The problem is, it was a ONE YEAR ONLY option for the Stratus R/T.. 01 or 02, I can't recall which.
There's a guy in the Neon forum that put a 3.3L with that transmission into a Neon. It's running on a MegaSquirt, quite well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.