Turbo Dodge Forums banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Yes, a turbo mtr done Right can take advantage of a lot more overlap than most would think possible. I said it back in 04, 95% of info on the net about our cars is miss information. Got to dial into that 5%!

I'm only on FB because friends of mine felt I needed to be for the Charger. Really don't like the format at all and try to find something once it drops down a few pages!

Last 5 years have been busy with everything else going on and after seeing the Charger Was capable of 9's, I made a promise, Mr Frodo, a Promise! Clean up all the back log and projects Before the cage goes in!

Originally thought that would be 5 years ago, but time just keeps cruising and so much to do. Getting closer now and can feel the time when I will me back on the forums with regular updates.......

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,339 Posts
I absolutely hate Facebook. I wouldn't be on there if it weren't for having to communicate with my car club. All there is over there is people arguing about pointless crap, and making sure nobody can get anything done in real life. Randy, you should go ahead and yank these last several posts to put elsewhere.

What I believe 100% is that more exhaust manifold pressure requires smaller overlap, and yes decreasing the exhaust manifold pressure would be ideal, but what I would also like to do is experiment with grinding cams specifically to reduce overlap. For all intents and purposes, as long as you have done a recent head gasket, a cam swap is easier to do than a turbo swap or porting exhaust manifold. The reason I keep going on and on about this is that within Stu Davis's ramblings(Systems engineer who designed the TII system) he talks as though there was more experimentation to be done with reducing overlap but never enough time. I know you guys are probably close to writing me off, but I want to try everything at least once.

I have plans for an engine lab at my home. I will be going to the junkyard in the next few weeks to select a donor front chassis to have them torch out so I can begin building an engine dyno frame. Recently I happened across actual Chrysler test SMECs on ebay. It was a stroke of luck that I happened to get them, and cheap. They came from a seller in Detroit of course. The beat up one will go in the engine lab. The one that appears to have seen very little use will go in the museum. They may have been tossed out when switching testing equipment to SBEC II. They are dated June 1990. They have special injection molded housings that have no air intake tube and the cover side has a 12 volt cooling fan built in. I'll have to re-learn how to upload photos to the forum. It's been a very long time since I've done it.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I Rob wants me to yank any of my posts I'd be happy to oblige.

I thought the cam and pressure stuff ratio was pertinent to his Charger.

It's so dead around here I like to keep as many topics going as possible.

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I should modify my earlier 95% miss information statement. That's how I saw it back in 04 and it remained that was for some time. However, things Have changed over the past 10 years or so, and there are several out there who are spreading Good info, so prob more like 60% miss info now which is actually a huge improvement!

Randy, when I get back to the Charger story I will get you to move these conversations to a spin off thread for the Charger. So not looking to make them disappear, but thinking thread should remain "story time" as much as possible.

Discussions like these can go on for a long time and don't want this to turn into a 50 page thread like the other one lol

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Rob, what ever works for you works for me as well.

I certainly wouldn't hold you to any percentage statement.

I'm not that good with math !! LOL

Did I miss a 50 pager??

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
What I believe 100% is that more exhaust manifold pressure requires smaller overlap, and yes decreasing the exhaust manifold pressure would be ideal, but what I would also like to do is experiment with grinding cams specifically to reduce overlap. For all intents and purposes, as long as you have done a recent head gasket, a cam swap is easier to do than a turbo swap or porting exhaust manifold. The reason I keep going on and on about this is that within Stu Davis's ramblings(Systems engineer who designed the TII system) he talks as though there was more experimentation to be done with reducing overlap but never enough time. I know you guys are probably close to writing me off, but I want to try everything at least once.

I have plans for an engine lab at my home. I will be going to the junkyard in the next few weeks to select a donor front chassis to have them torch out so I can begin building an engine dyno frame. Recently I happened across actual Chrysler test SMECs on ebay. It was a stroke of luck that I happened to get them, and cheap. They came from a seller in Detroit of course. The beat up one will go in the engine lab. The one that appears to have seen very little use will go in the museum. They may have been tossed out when switching testing equipment to SBEC II. They are dated June 1990. They have special injection molded housings that have no air intake tube and the cover side has a 12 volt cooling fan built in. I'll have to re-learn how to upload photos to the forum. It's been a very long time since I've done it.
Sounds like Big plans! I remember when I thought I had time to do Everything, yet all these years later prob accomplished 10%. So just be careful not to spread your self too thin ; )

Also understand, that what you're describing is basically what is running in the Charger now. When I'm referring to how much more cam our engines can take, I'm also talking about the Charger, as I don't consider the F4 a Big cam.

The F4 however, was purposefully built with least overlap possible in mind, as it has the largest LSA out there. The big Q for me is;

1. Is that the reason it works so well without a proper tube header?

2. Will a bigger cam with tighter LSA show the limitations of the ported stock mani? (ie need a proper tuned tube header to take full advantage)

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Right, now I remember, I'm going to try and read it again.

I thought it was a great thread but I suppose it got off your topic.

Thanks
Randy

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Right, now I remember, I'm going to try and read it again.

I thought it was a great thread but I suppose it got off your topic.

Thanks
Randy
Can't remember how it got that long. Prob did get off topic a few times lol

Thinking 20 pages of Good info in there and glad I got it all down for reference, but who wants to read through 65 pages to find it! Ha

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,339 Posts
I worked full time as a machinist, and ran my own general machine shop from the time I was 19 until I was 36. My body is kind of shot now. Last couple of years I've been on and off medical leave from slipped discs in my back. Since 2015 I have been running the St. Louis Turbo Mopar Club and providing free service parts and repair help to anyone within 200 miles or so. I am well versed in spreading myself.:LOL:

I would love to read 65 more pages of info about your exploits Rob! I'm just not a huge fan of TM.🤪

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,339 Posts
🖤🖤🖤

Now if I could get a signed poster of you with your car to put in my garage I will be doing great! Other TD racing guys kind of scoff when I ask about it. I see you being more personable royalty. I need to ask Dennis Doza Sr. if he has any pics of him and D II with the drag car I have now.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
That reminds me of the time I was at the local track, sitting in the Charger. Two kids around 7-8 years old (younger brother and older sister) walked up and asked me if I would autograph their programs. I was like, "what do you want me to do? You want my signature?" (light bulb Off at this time) Both stood and looked at me, slightly upset now and the older girl asked 1 more time and Bingo! The light bulb turns On and I get it! These kids Think I'm a race car driver! They want my Autograph! "Certainly, I will be Happy to sign your programs!" (with a smile)

Both perked right up and all was good, but even after that, prob didn't think of myself as a Race car driver! (pro like they thought anyway)

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,339 Posts
Lucky little.... kids :LOL:

It's not necessarily your driving, man. It's what you have done for the community, and the engineering and thought effort that you have put into the cars over the years.

I guess I need to head over to keyboard cowboy town and check out the Getting Into The 9s thread and get some more brain stimulation.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Thanks for the kind words. In the end I'm just a regular guy, no different then anyone else.

For some reason though, I was able to "see it" when it comes to forced induction, plus I was gifted with a very good BS meter. That helped me sift through the BS to what was Real, and not get caught going backwards through the learning curve.

Plus a Great family and friends. This wouldn't have happened without all of them!

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Should be able to just search my "started threads" no?

If not it's in the project logs area. Prob 10 pages back as it hasn't been accessed since 2012 or so lol

·
Registered
1987 Shelby GLHS #0958
1,339 Posts
Yep. Couldn't get anything searching your username on the main site search. Just got it though. Searching each individual forum helps a great deal.

This is the actual title of the thread: "The Chargers quest for 9's"

81 - 100 of 124 Posts