Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been wanting to start a thread for my 91 Spirit R/T " EVL SPRT" so here goes.....

I got this car off of this forum almost a year ago and I have had a blast with it. I love "sleepers" and this car is surely one of them. The car was pretty much stock when I bought it except for a 2 1/2 inch straight exhaust, no boost gauge or nada. I added a 3 inch DP w/ electric cut-out, FMIC, WB02, boost gauge, grounding wires, K+N filter, grainger to 15 psi and other small additions. I had a great time beating up on WRX's GTi's and most other cars that came my way. About 3 months ago the turbo gave in and I put her in the garage for the winter. I have really missed my car and it's time to get her back on the road! Since I was replacing the turbo I took off the head and got some TI retainers, new lifters, valve seals, cams seals, arp studs, etc. The car already had a Cometic HG, and Rick D fuel rail. I got a replacement stock turbo (thanks TRYINGBE) but will soon be upgrading to a 50 trim Hybrid, ported exhaust manifold, AFPR, EGT gauge and some other small things. Big thanks to Cindy @ FWDPerformance, I flew out to check out her shop and picked up a few things. She took time out of her hectiic day to show me all her toys and even treated me to some good ol TEXMEX. I recommend her shop to the fullest. Anyway, I plan on big things for my EVLSPRT from looks to performance and this thread will keeps accounts to my Mods. Thanks for checking it out and opinions are welcome

Here is the engine bay after plumbing the FMIC

Just got finished powder coating my valve covers and Intake Manifold! Go ahead and bite!! This was not an easy task but I am more than happy with the results. if any ony wants powder coating please contact me thru PM. I can do anything you want in any color, from nuts and bolts to valve covers intakes, etc. What do you think?

after bead blasting

red highlights

ready for wrinkle black

PIMP!!!!!!Wrinkle black with gloss red highlights and polished letters.

Intake wrinkle black

Fuel rail powercoated

That's it for now, I should have it back together and running tomorrow. I will update this thread, Stay Tuned!!!!!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Nice work man! :thumb: reminds me of mine. I did my charge pipes black like that too, and almost the same set up as far as running them. Please, keep us updated. :D

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
very sweet project, I saw the same intercooler push 350whp.
:thumb:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys!:D I am steady making progress and should have her running tonight. Still undecided about which turbo I am going to get:bang head I am torn between the 50 trim T3/4 stage III and the Precision sc6152. Any input welcome, preferably from someone with experience with both turbos, Thanks.

LOOK WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Precision or holset. Hybrids have been done. :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about compressor surge with the Precison, is this an issue? 4sfed4, any input? How about the Holset, I heard that the top end is a problem. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
How about compressor surge with the Precison, is this an issue? 4sfed4, any input? How about the Holset, I heard that the top end is a problem. Thanks guys!
you need the 6152S ported cover because the one I have 6152E Larry tried and had surge. I have no issues on my 2.4 Auto/ High stall with the said turbo.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
A turbo that flows 71lb/min I dont think is going to have much problem up top. The .55 a/r housing that comes on some of them is a bit of a bottleneck, but I can get you the link to a couple dsm guys, one of them make 602 awhp on like 24psi. almost 50more hp than the garrett GT 3067 that he had on there before at the same boost level.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Zero surge with the Holset HX40 from 0-30 psi. They are good into the 40 psi range.
I swear you must not sleep wallace! lol I have an excuse for being on this late as I am at work. But I see you post this late, and then during the day as well. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
you need the 6152S ported cover because the one I have 6152E Larry tried and had surge. I have no issues on my 2.4 Auto/ High stall with the said turbo.
Yes...the SC6152E (which had the smaller TO4E cover versus the larger T04S cover with the ported shroud on the SC6152S) surged at around 4000 rpm and lower 20's psi boost.

Precision swapped the cover at no charge and the problem was solved. And, the boost response between the two turbos was the absolute same. I will try and find the datalog which shows this.....the two boost vs. rpm curves laid right on top of each other.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
really sweet looking T3. Have you guys tried a GT3076R yet? I am wondering where that ones drys up with power. This is a good place to look in a 16v section lol

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
really sweet looking T3. Have you guys tried a GT3076R yet? I am wondering where that ones drys up with power. This is a good place to look in a 16v section lol
Here is a hx40(left) comp Vs. GT3076(right)

The holset looks like a much better design. Probably a similar idea to the extended tip borg warners?

And here is a graph from a pretty well built DSM that was running the GT3076. They swapped it out for the hx40 and that was all they changed. They were just seeing if it would make comparable power on the same boost, and stopped once it did.

Here is a dyno of said car with the holset on it. Unfortunately, it doesnt show the computer screen clearly. But the car was putting down 602awhp on 28psi. The car tries to remove its self from the dyno. :eek:
Video of dyno video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
looking for more HP and nearly the same spool up as my current turbo. Hoping a GT3076R is a good replacement for a T04E S50 and a stage 2 turbine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Guys, thanks for the compliments and info. I got my "Evil Spirit" running tonight. Her name is very accurate - she is a evil car, beat my hands to s*** and bruised my arm. I swear not having a lift is a PITA. I just need to set my fuel pressure and hook up my exhaust. Also, I broke my oil pressure sending unit so I need to pick up one of those.

I'm starting to lean towards the Precision sc6152s. I would be interested in seeing that comparison Larry, Thanks! More pics soon.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GOT HER RUNNING YESTERDAY!!!!!

What a difference the couple of parts I put on made. The engine is very rev happy now with the TI retainers, the valve train is whisper quite with the aftermarket lifters and the turbo is super responsive with the LW ported manifold. The front end gets swirly if I punch it in 3rd gear! I think the TI retainers made the biggest difference and are a must for TIII motors. Pulls 21 inchs vac at idle and no leaks.

I was punching it on the highway last night, looked down and the MPH were climbing like the tach, buried it past 120 and let off - I can't wait to get my bigger turbo =)

1 - 20 of 432 Posts