Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next week I will be putting an old computer of mine in the car. I will be upgrading it some with a new CD-RW drive and hard drive. However, one problem arises. All the contents of the glove compartment will need to move to an underseat drawer and the computer to the other underseat drawer. So, which one does the computer go under? Should it go under the driver's seat so I can easily hit the power button for the computer...or should it go under the passenger seat so registration and insurance information and other glove compartment things go under the driver's seat for easy access in case of a stop or emergency?

I COULD build the button into the "glove compartment" drawer under the driver's seat but that would draw out and complicate things enough that it is not worth the effort. Anyways...tell me what you all think, please. Also, what would you think of the car talking to you using the voice of Bonzi buddy? I'm considering putting all PC functions on voice control and then seeing if there is anyway to extend that to other devices in the car (but not the car's computer...that's much too risky for me).

RN

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sorry, but I don't understand what you will be using the computer for. Why not use a laptop ala what the cops have mounted? ?:|

Bad enough we have distracted drivers with cell phones, Playstations, rolling boom boxes, women doing makeup, eating, drinking....geeezz, do I sound like some 'ole fart or what!? 8*

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The computer will be used for playing MP3s. So far, it has about 1600 MP3s on it with another 1000 left to transfer to it...and then I have more CDs after that to dump. I want to put it on voice recognition to avoid having to see a screen or use my hands. A laptop cannot be hacked to pieces and spread out quite like this, given the screen...or is beyond my ability and this computer isn't as nice as my laptop (which I'm not willing to kill). All things considered, I can stuff this desktop into a smaller space than a laptop. And I don't need another big screen. ;)

RN

·
Registered
59 Posts
renichms,

Have you seend the Neo Jukebox ? Sounds pretty close to what you're trying to do with the PC. I just put my second one (as in already have in a different car) in a few weeks ago. Worth a look if you haven't already.

·
Registered
8,746 Posts
WHealy said:
renichms,

Have you seend the Neo Jukebox ? Sounds pretty close to what you're trying to do with the PC. I just put my second one (as in already have in a different car) in a few weeks ago. Worth a look if you haven't already.
The Neo Jukebox looks like an excellent way to go. I like that a lot. :)

·
Registered
17,709 Posts
renichms said:
The computer will be used for playing MP3s. So far, it has about 1600 MP3s on it with another 1000 left to transfer to it...and then I have more CDs after that to dump. I want to put it on voice recognition to avoid having to see a screen or use my hands.
RN
RN, I'm starting to worry about you, old pal.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Other ways to go other than a full computer in the car. I'm looking into this on from sony.

Sony MEX-1HD CD Receiver/Hard Drive MP3, ATRAC3 & CD-R/W compatible • 10-gigabyte hard drive • 8x CD ripper • MagicGate Memory Stick comptible • motorized fold-out detachable face • 23 watts RMS x 4 • SSIR-EXA tuner • EQ7 • Dynamic Soundstage Organizer • G-Protection • AUX input

OR

The easiest way to get your entire music collection on the road

The Kenwood Music Keg makes it simpler than you ever imagined to put up to 5,000 of your songs in your vehicle - in 3 simple steps, in fact:

1. Rip it: Connect the Kenwood Music Keg DMS cartridge to your PC using the included USB docking cradle. Use the super-intuitive Kenwood PhatNoise Music Manager software to collect and organize your music in MP3, WMA, WAV or FLAC formats and transfer it to the cartridge. You can even use the Music Manager to get audiobooks and other spoken-word material from Audible.com.

2. Take it: The transportable DMS cartridge is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, yet holds about 5,000 songs (20GB cartridge) or 2,500 songs (10GB cartridge) at standard MP3 compression. Just pop it out of the cradle and bring it with you.

3. Groove on it: Insert the DMS cartridge into the Kenwood Music Keg unit. Now you have enough music to take you anywhere you want to go (and back again)!

With the Kenwood Music Keg you’ll never have to sift through a bunch of songs to find the ones you want. The Music Manager’s Playlist capability lets you organize your music any way you want, so you’ll always have just the right tunes to fit your mood, right at your fingertips. Group songs any way you want - make your own dance mixes, a couple of classical compilations, even one with nothing but Brady Bunch songs - it’s all up to you. And Music Manager’s Dynamic Playlist capability will automatically update your lists for you by artist, genre or a keyword. With Kenwood Music Keg’s 999 Playlist capability you’ll never run out of options.

The Kenwood Music Keg works with most Kenwood in-dash receivers (or any other car stereo through the KCA-R70FM adapter) and operates just like a CD changer. So kick back - the Kenwood Music Keg puts you in total control.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Neo and Music Keg are very similar except Music Keg cost more for less space. of course it fully integrates with most new Kenwood decks. Also, i originally tried to hook my Neo up via USB (conenction available via Music Keg) and I could record at 1x speed. Man that's slow.

The Sony head unit will rip at 8x. i beleive it shuts off when the car is off but restarts back up if it's in the middle. It will shut off the head unit after it's done recording. Originally 10M seemed small to me but having several CD's on the Neo now, it seems about right. Although 20 Meg (I have 80) would probably be better and is aviailable for an additinal cost on the music keg.

Also pioneer makes a head unit with 10 gig avilable. But it's a 1 time speed that continues to record after the car is shut off then turns off the head unit when it's done.

I think I got the power off feature with the correct head unti but i could have that reveresed ... sorry

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One problem with those systems...I'm not using the computer only for MP3s. It also has a new CD-RW/DVD drive going in it so it can write CDs and be used as the DVD player. So instead of storage for 5000 songs, I spend less than $120 and get 70 GB storage plus CD writing capability and DVD player. This is an old computer I built a few years ago, so no additional cost associated other than small upgrades.

It's looking like it'll go under passenger seat just because it'd be awkward to have a passenger putting discs in drives in a drawer under the driver. Windows may be frustrating but the full abilities of a PC really are nice, as opposed to a simple MP3 storage unit.

RN

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Comedy Cruiser said:
Bad enough we have distracted drivers with cell phones, Playstations, rolling boom boxes, women doing makeup, eating, drinking....geeezz, do I sound like some 'ole fart or what!?
Let's not forget men shaving using the rear view mirror. :{(
;)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
divots said:
renichms,

Are you looking for the factory underseat drawers? If so you can have mine. Took mine out to make room for my amps and have no use for it now. Let me know.

Aloha,
Mark
[email protected]
I got $.98 tubs that fit snugly so I can chop them up as needed. Thanks though. Today I'll fit the computer parts into one as best I can, then attach the power source to it. Then I have to find a way to get a DVD video playing program onto the computer as it cannot go online and my crip laptop won't write a 10MB installer to CD-RW. Gosh, but the hours involved in simply reconfiguring Windows is so great...

RN

·
Registered
950 Posts
For placement of the computer I an surprised the space hasn't been used up already. under the driver seat I think would be the best. Remember if by some chance you get stopped by a cop do you really want tho reach down into a drawer under your seat? Not the best senerio. As for the car talking do your self a favor and kill to birds with one stone. I had put into my car a Viper alarm with proxcimity and voice modual. The eproms in the modual are programable you can add your own voices. So my car can say 16 different Marvin the Martian sayings. P.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts