Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently converting my '90 Omni to dedicated drag car status. It has glh knuckles with 10.25" mini brakes up front. I would like to run 15x10 wheels but this is a difficult proposition when dealing with the 5x100 pattern. 5x4.5 would open up my options greatly. The rear I will leave alone.

I can think of 4 ways of going about this:

1) Get the wheels I want and have them redrilled for 5x100. This I couldn't really do myself or possibly even get done locally (atleast well).

2) Get some wheel adapters (cheap on Ebay) and leave my current front end setup as is. But is this NHRA legal? I can find no mention of adapters in the rule book (unless this would be considered a spacer). I see this as the easiest way but probably the least ideal.

3) Redrill the l-body hubs in the new pattern. This is beyond my abilities to do in my own garage (same problem as 1). The problem I see with this is that some hub units (like the one from that I currently have installed) have a access hole cut through the flange to access the bolts securing the hub to the knuckle.

4) Put on some knuckles from a Caravan with the 5x4.5 pattern (or other 91+ knuckles with the Caravan hub/bearing). The strut mounting issues aren't a problem for me because I will likely be modifying the upper mount. The different location of the balljoint mount on the knuckles does make me uneasy though. I could narrow a K-frame from one of the cast arm vehicles to fit the omni, fab a tubular K-frame, or fab/shorten the current control arms to maintain the same distance between the knuckles and trans. This would require some time and effort though the bolt in bearings would be a plus.

Anybody else thought about doing this or tried it? Something I'm missing?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Lug Nuts Wheel Adapters Spacers Lug Bolts
and look for their adapters with pattern conversion. A 1" adapter that changes your 5x100 to a 5x4.5 pattern is $74.95....add $5 more for a 1.25" adapter.

I have never used these, but told various customers about them....I sell Mustang wheels for 4 lug 79-93 and 5 lug 94-08. I started out when I put a set on my 01 Voyager!!!! Sell only 17 & 18s so far...a lot fit some Mopars...
I can get Bullets, Cobras, Saleens, and FR500. I charge a fee for delivery and go all over IN, western OH, southern MI, all over IL, northern KY, and very south eastern WI. Angelo 765-455-1410

·
Registered
141 Posts
I doubt spacers will pass tech and I wouldnt trust them anyway.

I would try to adapt caravan spindles, or just machine the van hub itself to fit your existing knuckle if possible. SRT4 knuckle plus a caravan/intrepid hub flange maybe? You will probably need custom axle shafts with caravan hubs. I think they have larger axle splines.

Your stock flange probably doesnt have enough "meat" to drill again, or at least not that close to edge.

Better yet, spend a few bucks and have a machine shop knock out a couple custom hub flanges. You will get small spline axle with the proper wheel bearing OD and the larger bolt pattern. See if they will give a rough idea of cost.

Good Luck :) Let us know what you end up with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts