Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted something else on the computer section because im reading everything on Donovans site and he said that the 88 2.2L T1 engine is not good for over 250 hp or it will break cranks and main caps. Also he said the A413 is not good for high hp either. I dont know why he is saying this. I know that many people have ran more than that. Tell me what you guys think.

-Hagenator

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
in stock form his info is true for the most part, some of that info is really old but good for consideration

if you fix/modify them then more can be had

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
The only engine I have ever used so far was the 86-88 T1 block. The rods are wimpy, but I never had a failure yet on my daily driver, 20+ psi, now with a Super 70. Gonna try the 1/4 again this year, running 87 octane and alky in a Shelby Charger. I wanna see what I can get out of this engine...:p

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Common blocks are the best, I just don't have one, I have a set of Wisecos waiting to use with T2 rods, but don't want to "waste" them in a T1 block. I'm surprised how much of a beating this engine and the engine in my previous 86 S.C. have taken, I think it may have to do with running a light vehicle.;)

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
If I remember right, a modified version of the A413 is in the SMP charger. My van's transmission never gave me problems that I didn't make myself. That is, no parts broke due to abuse.

Pre-CB have weaker rods, and pistons too I think. However, that doesn't stop people from boosting them. Just know it's not going to be as robust as the CB era gear.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok well I see I stand corrected. That means I don't have to replace the block but i probley will anyways.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK here is another thing. He said that :
NOTE: The 89 CSX, Shelby Daytona and the Lancer Shelby are the only 'Shelby' vehicles with Turbo II internals.

Does that mean that the lancer with the Turbo I has Turbo II internals?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
OK here is another thing. He said that :
NOTE: The 89 CSX, Shelby Daytona and the Lancer Shelby are the only 'Shelby' vehicles with Turbo II internals.

Does that mean that the lancer with the Turbo I has Turbo II internals?
Shelby boosted hp on the stock TI. The ones listed above have TII forged crank and rods.

Just looked to see you have 88 Lancer Shelby. That should have the forged crank and rods AND be a TII with ic already.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If I remember right, a modified version of the A413 is in the SMP charger. My van's transmission never gave me problems that I didn't make myself. That is, no parts broke due to abuse.

Pre-CB have weaker rods, and pistons too I think. However, that doesn't stop people from boosting them. Just know it's not going to be as robust as the CB era gear.
Trust me when I say that that is no ordinary A413. There are quite a few ingenious upgrades and modifications. There are only two in existence on the planet unless he decided to go into the business of building them for others. I have a413 in my car which runs 7.0s in the 1/8 with just a few relatively minor updates.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Thats crazy. My non CB 86 Laser will be running around 300 hp when I do the t2 swap. Of course I am all forged so I am ok with internals

·
Registered
7 Posts
It should scare you. Now with that set, alot of people have made good power with the early blocks and will say they are fine....BUT.....if your going to spend the money to do a hole motor your better off spending a few bucks extra and get a CB core motor to use. You will be better off. I've broken everything you can break on an early motor, including....

Ripped the pin out of #4 piston and blowing the motor to pieces...stock 88T1 motor, 16psi boost.

Broken main caps!!! 2,3,4 all cracked in half, 88T2 stock forged stuff. Only 1 and 5 caps were holding the crank in the block. bearings were still in good shape, this motor had a S60 turbo and 25psi.

And the usual pistons and head gasket failures due to too much power.

It has taken me about 14 years to break all this stuff, probably been through about 10 motors, used stock stuff for too long at my power levels and abuse.
I know have a common block with forged crank TU rods, Weisco pistons and it sees 7000rpm and 30 psi on a regular basis when I take the car out.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I ran my 85 GLH turbo with stock internals at over 300 hp on nitrous for several years with no block troubles, but I that is about the limit....I was also short shifting when spraying. The tranny needed a 3500 COAN converter with pressed in roller bearing stator and a full manual valve body to last. This car was always street driven.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just looked to see you have 88 Lancer Shelby. That should have the forged crank and rods AND be a TII with ic already.
Yeah well the auto version of the car has a T1 in it. I could be wrong cus the car is still not in my drive way. Im gettin it this weekend. Im just trying to figure out everything before i tear into it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts