Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after getting the '86 Turbo Z running after it sat for 5 years ( guess thats why I got it for $250 ) I took it out for a spin today. Runs fine, super strong turbo, and on the way back from the gas station, BANG!!

I'm pretty sure the trow-out bearing is gone, but the car will not grab any gears at all now :bang head . Wondering if anyone has had an issue like this before.

Shifter cable is hooked up and all that. Main cluster is fine, possitive that nothing internal in the tranny is damaged. I'm just wondering if maybe the trow-out bearing lodged in a way that would keep the pressure plate disengaged from the clutch disk.

Thanks in advance guys :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
possible that the fricton material exploded off the clutch disk, happens sometimes with cars that sit for long periods of time. either way trans removal is in you near future.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Let me add some specific details as to what I was doing when it happened. ( it won't change the fact that I must take the trans out, but may help as far as pre-diagnosis)

I was slowing to stop from about 65 mand letting the car coast, with the clutch pedal depressed, a bad habit I've picked up from my 924 Turbo because of the double clutching I have to do to get the straight cut gears to mesh. When the car coasted to about 45 I then pulled the shifter with light pressure into the 2nd gear detent but was not forcing it per-say. About 5-10 secs later, BANG!

Also, I know the trow-out went out because of the whining sound the car makes @ idle and all revs. But after posting the orginal post I noticed that more than likely a ball bearing or taper bearing from the throw-out found its' way to pierce one of the hoses to my heater core. Amazing considering it only had about 3 inches of non metal pipe to hit in that area above the trans.

I'm just really trying to figure out if maybe one of the taper/ball bearings fell into the pressure plate while the actuation tabs were depressed and maybe lodged into a couple of the tabs keeping the clutch disengaged.

I dont want to buy more parts than neccessary before I pull it apart:eek:

Gonna get a new trow-out bearing tomorrow ( today, whatever LOL ) and take pics for ppl to look @ after I pull apart. If I get enough light will take video.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
Well if the transmission is out, and its been sitting for 5 years, I'd just replace the clutch unless it looked REALLY good when the trans is pulled. Otherwise its gotta be pulled again. And if the TO bearing exploded like you are thinking, then it could of possibly damaged the PP or the clutch plate/ friction discs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay,

I bought the Clutch/ Pressure Plate/ Throw-out bearing kit for $102 before I left out of town for work as of my last posting.

So today I began tear down of everything to prep for pulling the transaxle, and even got to where I could move the transaxle away from the block some. Lo and behold, when I shimmied it away from the block a little, what appears to be friction material came falling out in lots of tiny pieces. So needless to say, per a wise mans' suggustion above, getting the kit was neccessary. Once I get the Transaxle removed I will take pictures so that everyone can see the aftermath of a throw-out bearing giving up the ghost while depressed. Hopefully this will be tomorrow, but with my job you never know.......:fingersx:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ive seen a spring from the clutch break out and get lodged behind stopping the clutch from engaging. This was on my buddies 90 shadow es 2.5 a523. Everyone thought the clutch was just totally gone (bought it this way) until he pulled the trans and found that.

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Ya anytime I hear a bang noise from an a525 I consider 2 things.
1) the a525 kicked its own ass
2) clutch blew chunks
I did this exact same thing on my 86 turbo z. 53k original on the clutch and one day I take it out and decide to rip into it a little and boom barely had any engagement at all. Limped it home and tore apart and low and behold I had stripped all the material off of one side of the disk.
Fun stuff. Dont expect that clutch to last too long if you rip into the car. I had a parts store t2 valeo clutch break the pressure apart in 3 places and I hadnt been ripping into the car at all. I was pulling out of a parking spot in IHOP.
Q
Q

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alrighty :D,

I got the Transaxle out and the throw-out bearing is fine for being original OEM with 126k on it. Basically normal wear but a LOT of play between the outer casing and inner race. As it turns out, the clutch exploded.

Here are pics of what happened and what I am doing to fix it.

I can say though, this is the most pain in the @ss transaxle to pull out for me so far. (I can pull out the one in my 924 Turbo in 1 hr) :bang head

·
Mr. Moderator
8,917 Posts
Clutch explosion FTW.
Ya the parts store clutches don't last unfortunately. I have a good disk still from the parts store but my pressure plate was obviously junk.
Now that the trans is out, do the clutch the right way. Get your flywheel resurfaced, make sure you torque your pressure plate to spec, use some red locktite on the pressure plate and flywheel bolts, and have fun getting the trans to mate back up to the motor. thats the worst part. 2 people and a tranny jack always helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yeah,

Compared to getting it out, getting it in was MUCH more tricky. 2 ppl and a tranny jack as you said. And a lot of [email protected]#$%^&*&^%$#@[email protected]#$%^&* 's :tsktsk-tisk:

It just went ahead and used some 1500 grit on the flywheel, didnt need it per-se, but since it was available and easy.... I torqued and used BLUE Loctite due to the fact that I will prob be building a motor in the near future, and loctite BLUE, in my experience with automotives, is more than adequate for pressure plate. The kit I bought was $107 from Advanced. Will have it running tomorrow :dancing:

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
see i told you the clutch let loose! well as far as it being a bear to get out and back in, the more you do it, the quicker it will go.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I have dropped transmissions and engines out the bottom of TD's, and I have lifted engines out the top. For a clutch replacement, I'd prefer lifting the motor out, it'd be easier to get everything lined back up than trying to hold, twist, lift, and slide a manual transmission into position all at the same time.

Everyone has their own preferences for this. The right tools make it easier, no matter which way you do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.