Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since fixing most anything ,but finally needing rear shocks & new tires. First got the (L) shock side rear shock with no brakeage ,but I had to cutt off the (R) upper, mounting bolt & shock too! Question, where to find the upper replacement mounting bolt for the shock? 2nd question , I had 4 2;15 x 60 x 15 tires that seem to work well,but wondered if changing to 2'25 x 60 x 15 new tires would fit good or better on my 88 Z this time around ?

·
Administrator
26,348 Posts
Take one of the good bolts to a Home Improvement store or Hardware store and match the length and thread pitch.

As far as the tires...
1)The 1st digit is a "P" that stands for passenger car.
2)The number next to that is the tread width in millimeters (IE: 215, 225)
3)The next number is the "Aspect Ratio", this is the percentage of sidewall height compared to tread width.
IE: A 205/55/16 tire is 205 mm across the tread, the aspect ratio is 55, meaning the sidewall height is 55% of the tread width or 112.75 mm's.
4)Wheel size
5)The letter next to the tire size is the speed rating.
The higher the speed rating more heat/speed the tire can handle, the higher the speed rating the stiffer the tire will be so you have improved steering/cornering, depending on the tire this may only hold true for dry roads.
The factory tires on my Daytona were Goodyear VR Gatorbacks, they were great on dry surfaces, terrible in the rain.
My car came with P205/55/16 V rated tires from the factory, a "V" rated tire is good up to 149 MPH, the reason the car came from the factory is the speedometer goes to 140 MPH and federal law says the tires must match the speedometer.
I have used "H" rated tires for 25 years, they last longer than "V" rated tires, they handle better in wet conditions and are stiff enough to give you good handling/steering while not giving you a very stiff ride, they also cost less.

On you two tire sizes you listed...
P215/60/15 = 215mm tread width, 129mm sidewall height, 15" wheel
P225/60/15 = 225 mm tread width, 135 mm sidewall height, 15" wheel.
The 225 is 10mm wider and 6mm higher than the 215.

I prefer tires with a lower sidewall height for handling, the higher the sidewall height the more give there will be in the tire on cornering/turning.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The shock mounting part numbers are:

Bolt: 6101439
Nut: 6100518

Both should still be widely available, as they were used for many years on many cars.

If you go the Ace Hardware route - which is fine - the bolt and nut are size M10x1.50. Not sure of the bolt length, though, so you'll have to measure and match.

I'd buy at least Grade 5.

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
ok there's a couple of issues here
first when fitted with a225 tire a daytona is equipped with 225 50 15'
not sixty series tires ..FIFTY SERIES
you won't get the 60 on the car
not enough space

'80's mustang 5.0's used a 225 60 15..

they ARE SUBSTANTIALLY LARGER IN DIAMETER

tire diameter compassion ... www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=195-50r15-225-50r15

and , sorry daytonas don't 'handle" they have decent ride quality but they don't

I had an 86 turbo z , after four cars with 225 50 15 I was getting tired of the ride quality
so I went to a 215 60 15 for the increased sidewall height
they just barely fit

on a dodge fwd car like ours the passenger side wheel is mounted slightly forwards of the driver's side wheel
this means the tire is slightly closer to the front edge of the wheel well opening
-if your car isn't bent somehow this is how cryco built it
reason I presume - it resists rolling off the crown of the road if the passenger wheelbase is slightly longer

anyways.. on both my 86 turbo z and an 87 shelby z I had those 215's on
the passenger front wheel just barely touched the edge of the plastic nose where it bends and mounts to the wheel well lip
it never hit hard enough to rub the paint off or even mark the paint.. but it did touch
there is no way you'll ever get a 225 60 on there..

oh and the ride quality was much improved with the 215 60 15's in -place of the o-e 225 50 15's

handling was completely unaffected because as stated..no handling capacity to start with

handling capacity
a shelby charger is capable of turning onto a side street at 50 mph
a daytona will instead reverse ends and go into whatever is on the side of the road at that same corner BACKWARDS

·
Registered
282 Posts
on a dodge fwd car like ours the passenger side wheel is mounted slightly forwards of the driver's side wheel
this means the tire is slightly closer to the front edge of the wheel well opening
-if your car isn't bent somehow this is how cryco built it
reason I presume - it resists rolling off the crown of the road if the passenger wheelbase is slightly longer
Now that is very interesting. Never knew that tidbit. Thanks for sharing!

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
also
92/3 daytonas have the front wheels moved forwards..I'd presume the passenger side is again slightly forwards
but .. having an 86 , an 87 and a 92 in the driveway at the same time you can also see the difference in the radius of the 92/3 wheel well at the front..
that change in radius means the 92/3 front end don't fit 84-91 fenders and the reverse is true
because of the fold over going into the front of the wheel opening where the nose cover attaches

also the trailing axles don't swap as the distance between wheel center ,spindle,and the pivot at the frame changes
the position of the pivot mount under the body physically changes in the chassis build too.. so there's no way of swapping early /late rear axles
that axle change might be in 90 or 91 .. I can't remember now but an 87 axle was a no go in a v6 daytona

and..I had two gun metal blue 86 turbo z's ..both with the standard hand pump , manual adjust seats both also had a/c,similar mileage and o-e shocks n struts
one had manual mirrors and no rear wiper
the other had power mirrors and rear wiper
(base power group)
and the ride quality difference..

like walking a puppy vs an adult dog...there's a difference.. nice light .. free feeling vs .. eah .. "this isn't the same
apply the above to both my 87 shelby z's they were dull n heavy feeling

I strongly believe "base power group" triggered an automatic change in spring rates
-consider the 16 way power seat is 72 pounds with the seat tracks attached.....according to my bathroom scale

84-86 turbo z's sit one inch lower than an 87/8 shelby z..front and back
87 shelby z got a one year only harder rubber pivot mount for the trailing axle
lastly
87 K cars and vans with 520 5 spd trans got a unique bracket on the diff and used an L body style dog bone bobble bracket

sorry straying off topic ..kinda

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
blue 86 with 215 60 15's on it
and
the 86 has the struts from the 87 and the 87 has the struts from the 86

back end of the 86 is stock rear 86 spring n shock

note wheel centers vs rocker skirt (height)...then you notice the gap above the front tire.. had helping ,a taller 215 on the back with the lower 86 springs stillin place

proportionally ..I really much prefer the 215 60's over the 225 50's

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks, Dr. Johnny Dodge, for your comments about tire size and handling issues. A few years ago I bought some V rated tires, 205/60 15s, and I realized too late that I did not really need them, because how often do I drive at 140 mph? (Never!)
Do you ever watch Motor Week on Public Broadcasting? They always talk about taking a new car for a "spin", but they were told by a race car driver that racers do not like the word "spin", because it implies that you have lost control of the car and are swapping ends, or what I call "doing an endo." Taking a corner fast can be fun, unless you are going backwards! For a car with FWD, don't ever let up on the gas in a corner. It is always better to brake before the corner, (never brake in the corner because the tire will lose adhesion at the limit)) and then accelerate thru it, controlling the power slide with the gas pedal and steering input. I have driven on 225/60 14s and they had impressive grip with a bigger tire patch/footprint. My Daytona had rear disc brakes and the 14" rim was too small for that car, but the tires worked well on other models such as Reliant/Airies, Shadow//Sundance, etc. The wider tires cost a premium in most cases.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts