Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, will try to keep it short! Have a 05 Neon SRT-4 with only 24k miles. Has original belts on it.
Good idea to have the timing belt replaced? Along with the tensioner, waterpump cam seals etc?
Know the car is a non interference motor. Serpentine belts look fine with no cracking and original. Would having an old timing belt like that affect performance? (Going on 16 years this September)
Sorry for the stupid questions. Just like to hear what others think over the internets.
thank you

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just replaced the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and belts on my 05 Neon SRT-4 last summer. I had 73,000 miles and it was never done before. My timing belt and belts looked fine. There is no way to determine if the timing belt is okay without at least removing the upper timing cover to check the condition of the timing belt. While i was in there I rebuilt my two AGP dog bone mounts with new bushings and replaced the sunk middle motor mount (passenger side) with a new Mopar mount. Having an old timing belt will not effect the performance. After replacing the timing belt and belts ,water pump I do not have worry about being left stranded on the side of the road from failure in the near future.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello, will try to keep it short! Have a 05 Neon SRT-4 with only 24k miles. Has original belts on it.
Good idea to have the timing belt replaced? Along with the tensioner, waterpump cam seals etc?
Know the car is a non interference motor. Serpentine belts look fine with no cracking and original. Would having an old timing belt like that affect performance? (Going on 16 years this September)
Sorry for the stupid questions. Just like to hear what others think over the internets.
thank you
Does the car have an owners manual? It is usually found in that, a normal Neon belt interval is 105,000 miles, BUT since it has only been drive 24,000 since 05, I would replace it cause it could be getting dry rot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of course it does. Yes I plan on getting it all replaced! I was just looking to hear from others with low mileage older cars with the original belt and its holding up just fine. I had an 03 Neon SRT-4 with 120k miles about 7 years ago. Had the original belt on it. Had it replaced, the belt looked fine. But not to take chances. thanks guys! Will start the part order from beloved Modern Performance.com

·
Administrator
25,053 Posts
The top half of this page shows what to look for to determine the timing belt condition.

Timing Belt 3.0L.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts