Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the best way to adjust the timing belt to the cam gear without taking the cam out i really wana avoid doing this because i just put it back in and it was a pain although i do feel i can do it much faster and easier now but can i possibly slide the timing belt off the gear turn the engine over find where my mark is that i put on the belt and cam gear and just stick it there? also before my engine was kinda boggy down low and im wondering if i shud advance it or retard it to help with the low end power

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
86lance said:
what would be the best way to adjust the timing belt to the cam gear without taking the cam out i really wana avoid doing this because i just put it back in and it was a pain although i do feel i can do it much faster and easier now but can i possibly slide the timing belt off the gear turn the engine over find where my mark is that i put on the belt and cam gear and just stick it there? also before my engine was kinda boggy down low and im wondering if i shud advance it or retard it to help with the low end power
It's not too difficult...

First, remove your distributor cap so you can see the rotor.
Then use a breaker bar on the crank and turn the engine until the timing mark on the cam sprocket is where it's supposed to be.

Then...remove the bolt for the cam sprocket and tap off the sprocket from the cam. (Don't lose the keyway!!)

With the timing belt loose, turn the engine with the breaker bar again until the timing mark lines up to "0" on the bellhousing window.

Making sure the timing belt is loose, turn the rotor until it's pointing to #1 cylinder and add tension to the belt so the rotor can't move. (so the teeth on the oil pump gear and belt engage.)

Keeping tension on the belt, slip the cam sprocket into the belt and slide it back onto the cam. Lightly tap it back on and tighten the bolt.

You should have base timing....

It takes me 10 minutes to do this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts