Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I put on my new head/turbo/etc it sounds almost like a power steering pump running dry... but there is plenty of fluid in it. Checked all the other belts, finally checked the timing belt (pulled top cover off) and the timing belt is VERY tight. Guess I didn't realize how tight I put it when installing...

Could this cause issues? The belt barely deflects at all.

· Registered
4,660 Posts
check your belt tensioner, could be shot.

· Administrator
26,464 Posts
Yes it will cause premature wear on the belt.
You should be able to turn the belt almost 90 degrees or use the Chrysler tensioning tool.
There is an access in the lower timing cover to get to the tensioner.

· Registered
75 Posts
Belt noise is a common symptom for being too tight. The tension causes the pulleys to deflect which makes the belt ride toward the outside edge... which in turn makes it rub against the timing belt cover.

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, it sounded like rubbing slighly... I just got done fixing it... sadly I don't know if it worked yet because I got a head of myself and decided to throw in a fuel pressure gauge while I was at it... have the wrong sized fittings though! DOH! Til' tomorrow...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.