Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 85 Charger 2.2 N/A and recently noticed while getting it running again after winter that the timing belt appears very loose while running. On both the front and back side of the upper pulley. The car has 59000 original miles so is the belt worn or fatigued from age?? Also, can anyone help me out with some hints or tips on replacing it?? Dont want to screw things up and get it out of time!! :eek: Is there a tensioner that I should replace also??? Thanks for any help guys! :thumb:

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
Yeah recommended intervals for belt change is 50,000 miles so you're due.
Here's a link for your belt change-
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/enginetiming.html

The tensioner is probably fine if it isn't sqeaking or anything. Check it for signs of wear while you have the belt off.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow... looks kinda like a ***** to change it huh?? I am very paranoid of moving something and screwing up the timing!! Thanks for the info though! :thumb:

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
Easy for a full time mechanic ;)

·
Banned
4,729 Posts
LOL :thumb:

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
the belt change is "relatively" easy. my first one back 25+ years ago was difficult since there was no internet to give me the answers. here's what I do now days: I take off the upper timing cover, then manually turn the crankshaft using a socket/ratchet until the engine is at TDC for #1 cylinder. you can see the timing mark on the flywheel to verify and look at the cam sprocket also to verify the cam is also at TDC for #1. now the hard part.. you need to remove the AC bracket, and the crank pulley. the crank pulley requires the use of an external Torx socket (E10) most home shade tree mechs dont have this tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts