Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a problem with my timing setting on my 2.2 shelby shadow 89 is fuel injetion, so i set the intermediate shaft sprocket notch with the main shaft point mark and the ditribuitor points to 9.00 oclok, i mean its no pointing the one spark, the main shaft is to tdc right set, and then i move the intermidiate shaft sprocket to pointing with oval hole with the main shaft mark and the distribuitor goes to pointing the one spark plug, it looks to be ok? so witch its the right mark a the intermediate sprocket, the oval hole or the mark at the gear? And whats the right position for the distribuitor. Any body can help me? Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
align the intermediate sprocket notch and the crank dot so they are pointing directly at each other, use a straight edge across the center of the crank bolt and intermediate shaft bolt, marks should line up perfectly straight along the edge of the ruler youre using. cam sprocket has a small round hole in the top part, and there is a divit in the cam cap that will line up with that hole when the cam is straight up at TDC for #1- its difficult to see, may need a mirror and a light. from there distributor rotor should be pointing straight at #1, flat part of distributor should be almost parallel with the front of the car. once engine is started and up to operating temp, unplug the coolant temp sensor next to T-stat. this takes the computer out of the circuit so you can set base timing. set timing to 12 deg - second to last notch on the timing window on the bellhousing. plug in coolant sensor and youre done. do a search in the help section, this has been covered many times and there are diagrams posted that show lining up timing marks on crank, intermediate shaft and cam

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
If the gears are lined up and the rotor isn't pointing at #1 then someone installed your oil pump wrong. Pull the distrbutor housing out of the block, line the gears up and make sure the notches in the top of the oil pump are parrallel with block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for the help, but i have a question for it, if i do what you seid, when i pull the distributor out of place, a time of move the gear for oil pump, i have to move the shaf sprocket and will be not right alignement with the main gear isnt?

·
RIP
1,363 Posts
Look very carefully at the pic above. The "Notch" on the Intermediate shaft sprocket is a "Very Faint" Scribe line right on the edge by the teeth. DO NOT align to the "Oval" slot in the intermediate shaft sprocket. Find that scribe line and the align it to the Crank sprocket. :thumb:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but i think i got clear the gears alignement part, the problem its in that way the rotor of the distributor points wrong, its no pointing to one sparkplug, still pointing to 9.00 oclock. Thanks for the help.

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
Well the easy way is to put the crank and the cam to TDC, pull the distributor out of the block and turn the intermediate shaft till the slot in the top of the oil pump in parallel with the block. Now install the timing belt and turn the motor over a couple times back to TDC and see if the slot is still parallel with the block when the crank and cam are at TDC. If so, install the distrib with the rotor pointing to #1 and go.

The hard way is to drop the oil pan, line up all the pulleys and re-install the oil pump correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot, i think this is the best way to solve this problem, im gonna try the way you said inmedietly, so, at last do you think the right degree for the fuel injeted 2.2 engine and manual trans; will be 6 degree with the temp sensor unplug? Or 12? Thanks a lot.

·
Administrator
25,653 Posts
Ignition timing is 12 degrees BTDC.
When everything is correct the distributor housing will be parallel to the block.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks my friend, i was looking at the bottom of the hood and the degrees mark is about 6 degree, in adition to the system fuel its no carburator, so 12 degree like you seid will be ok? Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, so i need to set the timing to 12 degree with the temp sensor unpluged or pluged? And way its marking under the hood to set at 6 degree with temp sensor unplug?
Last question, ¿how i set the incoming air to engine to the throttle body, about the screw that it needs to be set down or up? How i done that correctly? Can you help? Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so i need to set timing at 6 degree with the temp sensor unpluged or pluged? And way under the hood specifications marks 6 degree with unpluged temp sensor?
Last question ¿how i set the incoming air to the engine from the throttle body, about the secrew has to be moved up or down? ¿how i done that correctly? Any help? Thanks

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
To set idle air you need to start the car up. Then pull the big vacuum hose off the intake so the engine revs up. Have the intake hose pulled off the front of the TB so you can see the blade, this way you can hear the AIS motor close off the passage as it tries to lower the idle. Once it closes off unplug the AIS motor then reconnect the brake booster vac line. If the car dies then just screw the screw IN to open the throttle some more and restart the car. Set the idle to 900 via the screw and turn the car off. Plug the AIS motor back in and you're done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All right, but im sorry, can you tell me please the meanning of ais motor and where is locate? When i have to disconnect the brake boster vac line? The tb referer to throttle body? A blade in to? Im very sorry for all this questions, im not a mechanic and i dont understand a lot of terms, sorry for that, im afraid to take my shelby to the mechanic, so all of you thanks for the valious help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts