Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1990 dodge Daytona
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 daytona 2.2/a568

On my way home about a quarter mile from my house I made a left hand turn and shifted from 1st to 2nd and felt a slight grind like if you missed a shift and then nothing at all I thought my cables popped off but I was just driving easy puttin my way home but the cables are attached and move fine just replaced the bushings and haven’t had a problem out of the trans aside from sometimes the throw out bearing being noisy i tried messing with the clutch lever and it seemed to get stuck up a little and I could feel the slack to the pedal but after pumping it a couple times it goes back to normal I guess but I can feel the gears popping In and out I think the clutch isn’t engaging and maybe the pressure plate is messed up i was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this before

Thanks
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
I've seen a PP collapse once. Trans shifted fine and everything felt good with engine OFF. With engine running clutch was engaged all the time, so you could syncro match to shift, but that was about it.

If you've checked and all cables are OK plus top shift plate is moving properly and you can verify each gear going in normally, this sounds like your problem.

That, or something went wrong with clutch cable.

·
Registered
1990 dodge Daytona
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen a PP collapse once. Trans shifted fine and everything felt good with engine OFF. With engine running clutch was engaged all the time, so you could syncro match to shift, but that was about it.

If you've checked and all cables are OK plus top shift plate is moving properly and you can verify each gear going in normally, this sounds like your problem.

That, or something went wrong with clutch cable.
What do you mean by top shift plate? And I have nothing at all car will not move on it’s own no matter what I do it feels the same going into gear with the car on or off clutch or not

·
Registered
634 Posts
Are the gears still there but won't engage? Or can you move the shifter in a big circle like the cables are unhooked?

·
Registered
1990 dodge Daytona
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are the gears still there but won't engage? Or can you move the shifter in a big circle like the cables are unhooked?
Feels normal all gears are there like before this happened

·
Registered
634 Posts
Feels normal all gears are there like before this happened

If the clutch pedal feels normal, then likely it's something internal in the transmission. One thing you could do is remove the shift selector cover on top of the transmission (Has the rod going into it that the shift cables are connected to), and look inside to see if something is obviously wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
What do you mean by top shift plate? And I have nothing at all car will not move on it’s own no matter what I do it feels the same going into gear with the car on or off clutch or not

Top Shift selector. With someone shifting trans into gear (engine off) if you can see all cable connections to top shift selector moving as they should (ie. no cables disconnected and bolt/nut holding rear shift arm not lose) and all gears go in normally, its most likely a collapsed diaphragm (PP) or problem with clutch cable/ pedal.

Could also try Pinning clutch pedal right to floor and see if car will roll. (engine off)

I seem to remember a stretched cable or something that did the same thing, but you could actually drive and shift the car IF you Pinned the clutch pedal right to the floor and waited several and could put it into gear. (engine running)

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Just make sure you can "hear" trans shifting internally which will tell you shift selector most likely OK.

Otherwise, if everything is moving (cables ect) on outside and no sound coming from trans internally you may have a broken shift select shaft.

·
Registered
1990 dodge Daytona
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The I have no gears if I put the car in 1st and start it with out touching the clutch pedal the car does not move I just checked both axles and they move fine I can here the diff clunk back and forth

·
Premium Member
2,390 Posts
Lift pass side front tire off the ground and try to spin it with car in gear, engine Off. Starting to sound like you lunched the diff or snapped and axle.

If it spins freely and you have hanger bearing set-up, check to see if spinning at hanger bearing or if its spinning at the trans

·
Registered
1990 dodge Daytona
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked it yesterday it spins the transmission I can here the diff clunk back and forth lifted both sides and checked axles at this point I’m almost 100 percent positive it’s going into gear so either the spider gears are gone or my clutch is gone either way I’m just going to pull the trans this weekend

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts

I think he means the clevis.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Checked it yesterday it spins the transmission I can here the diff clunk back and forth lifted both sides and checked axles at this point I’m almost 100 percent positive it’s going into gear so either the spider gears are gone or my clutch is gone either way I’m just going to pull the trans this weekend

Wouldn't the spider gears have made a lot of crunchy-crunch noises? I'm hoping it is just the clutch!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts