Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody driven/drive with there child in a Daytona? The back seat doesn't look ideal for a car seat setup up but I have yet to try, can't put her in front because of laws (don't want to either), problem is i'll rarely be able to drive the car if I cannot take my daughter to drop her off, and home is too far away and unrealistic to go back and get the car.

I know, I know, a t-top daytona shelby is not an ideal baby vehicle...

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
you know where to ask this ?
the local cop shop - at least here they have "experts" to help ya with that

guy I bought my shelby from had 1 in the back of it - took awhile for the dents in the seat to come back out

·
Administrator
24,990 Posts
My Son has a car seat in his 94 Sundance and it is secured with no issues.
My Daytona has a 1 piece Lap/Shoulder belt in the rear with auto locking retractor so it should not be an issue as long as the rear seat fold down latches are in good shape.
You can always install tether restraint anchors, Chrysler made them as an add on for Jeeps that did not have them from the factory, you would have to find a secure place to mount them.

Here is a link to a site I found.

LATCH and Top Tether Information for Child Safety Seat Restraints

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
his 89 won't have the rear seat shoulder belts though

regardless , when you have it in and think it's good - still , take it over to the cop shop and let their "expert" have a look at it

I'm sure they are the same as here - just wanna help you make sure ya got it right

they should have staff that have been trained in this exact thing

·
*_QUEEN WRENCHER_*
296 Posts
Well, here is your answer! Lol in the daytonas you cannot have the seat placed normally, bc the angle makes the front seat go forward. Sooo, the solution is to tuck the lip of the top of the cars eat in between the headrest and seat. That way it has the right/correct angle and someone can still sit in the seat in front.."this solution is okay'd by police...(state trooper for a dad)...just a little pointer to make it easier.

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys/gals, the rear seats don't have head rests though, the carseat I do have however has a few adjustments that can be made to the base to level it out, I need to do this tomorrow morning unfortunatly, argh. All I can do is wait when I get home tonight and see but the comments are helpful!

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
I think Tiff was refering to a rear faceing seat with the top edge tucked in under the front headrest

though I should add that sadly our seat backs have a nasty habbit of colapseing in rear end collisions

the guy I knew who bought the 89 shelby new almost went out the back window when clocked in the back by a topaz doin 50-60 kph

only thing that saved him was the lap belt around his knees
if hit harder he'd have had a broken neck from running into the back seat - just before being ejected out the back window

years ago there was a class action suit against VW 'cause the same thing happens in Bugs - ya end up hitting your head on the metal package tray under the back window
VW lost that one

·
*_QUEEN WRENCHER_*
296 Posts
Lol ya sorry I didn't know which one you were talking about...toddler cars eats are hard in daytonas because they tip with the seats are formed...but I have both in the daytonas and it's all legit and safe or I wouldn't do it :)

·
Administrator
4,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see it now Johnny, thanks for the visual, but I agree these seats are not built strong enough for impact force. My power seat has more structure to it but that's only good to the driver.

·
*_QUEEN WRENCHER_*
296 Posts
I didn't catch that all the first time, but jeez. That's a downer...make me just want to drive the spirit...those seats seem good...am I wrong in saying that? Lol I don't know anyone who's wrecked one so I can't know first hand

·
Administrator
10,120 Posts
don't put your kids in boosters. They only work front and rear impact, I could toss my kids right out of them in a turn. Best to have them in the back with a waist belt, not a shoulder belt. I hit corners hard on purpose, if I hear a thud I yell out "why do we wear out seat belts?". And the boys would chant "to keep our butts in the seat daddy". They drive nothing nowhere with out seat belts, even the motorhome.

When 3 the twins were in a seat belt and the third was still 2 in a car seat, all in the back of the van. Some guy pulls out in front of my van and I hit the brakes hard. The twins unclicked Robbys seat belt and him and the seat flew through the van, he was in the back in front of the gap of the middle seat. He was fine but scary to watch him and the car seat flying. I would load 3 every morning to go to work, which means one at a time. Once in a while the first kid would jump out and try to move the car. There is a LOT to dealing with children in the car. One twin crashed my blue truck into my dads truck, engine off. The other twin crashed my one ton into the GLHS, the GLHS was saved by the truck door, again engine off. Robby today took up smoking and to hide from me he thought it would be smart to smoke in my new PT.... It is endless, always make there safety higher than what the law demands. If they can't be safe in the car seat for there age, in one car and not the other, don't use it. Thank god I learned about booster seats in the winter with the windows up!

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
^ ya but my buddy was stoped at a light reachin for his coffie when the topaz hit him - not much ya can do about a stupid drunk

never did find the coffie cup lol

·
Administrator
10,179 Posts
Well, if you got Ninja Soldering skills, then the ninja daytona-driving-out-of-the-way-of-a-drunk-ass skills should be right up to par

·
Super Moderator
11,773 Posts
wish I could agree - I got taged from behind by one too
then shoved into another car coming the other way - bye bye first car - my LTD II

1 - 20 of 38 Posts