Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so most of my old tools are still at my parents house in another state. Instead of bringing them here I want to start over from scratch with new stuff because I'm getting my rebuilt engine back soon and I won't get back there in time and I'm tired of borrowing tools from all of my friends. (Plus that stuff is on the cheap side and I want to go a little nicer)

Without being too extravagant (good tools, but not spending where I don't need to for "name only", etc.), what tools would you recommend brand-wise? And links would be great.

First I need a nice complete set of sockets, wrecking bar, etc., a new shop type rolling jack and possibly an engine hoist.

Also, where can I get a tool to take an a/c compressor clutch off??

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Almost all of my tools are Craftsman. They're a pretty good in quality but what I really like is that if I break one I can go to a Sears and get a replacement easily. The only thing that I purposely didn't go with craftsman for was my visegrip pliers. I hated the craftsman ones I had. All the other off brand one were bought in times of urgent need. For the A/C clutch I would check with Autozone or AdvancedAuto for a tool you can rent for free.

·
Helping when I can
1,326 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM CHINA CRAP!!

When you say you want to "I want to start over from scratch with new stuff"....
whats your budget? $500? $5,000? $50,000?:rolleyes:

I say stay away from China stuff and you will be ok for the most part. That means no Buffalo, MIT, Grip-on, Pittsburg, or anything else they might sell at Harbor Freight. It will just break on you.

I like buying on Ebay. You can get some astounding deals on tools if you know what you are looking at. You can also get ripped off if you are not careful.

Decent brands like Craftsman and Williams can be had for next to nothing. Mac and Matco are a little more. But if you got Snap-On money, Well you can get whatever you want at an awesome price. I always buy new stuff, Unless it's a specialty tool I need and It was rarely used at the Chrysler dealer.

Speaking of which, You might as well get the Miller A/C Clutch tool the dealer used - It will be cheap on ebay.

Oh, and in case I forgot to mention:

Have fun:thumb:

EDIT: To be clear, I buy brand new Snap-On sets for a price comparable to Craftsman sets selling at Sears.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"whats your budget? $500? $5,000? $50,000?"

Between the first two for now... and honestly, closer to the first than the second right now:thumb:

I'm going to buy as I go for the most part. If I had 5g's laying around I'd snap up everything at once, but it seems a little less painful to spread it out over a few months/years.

So screamin4banger, am I reading you right when you say that the Chinese stuff is the best?:D

Seriously, that gives me a great ballpark to work with. I figured that craftsman, snap-on, williams, etc. would be ok but I wanted to get a few inputs first before I start dropping cash.

Thanks!

I'll keep my eyes on ebay!

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
S-K tools are darn near as good as Snap-on. I'd recommend you try craigslist. maybe you can find someone needing money or getting out of mechanics willing to sell good tools for cheap price.

AVOID CHINA CRAP!!!! amen to that. I try to avoid buying anything made in China. Hell, one day I was in CHINA-Mart aka walmart and even their Apple Juice said "Made from Concentrate from China or Argentina"

·
Registered
631 Posts
It kinda depends on what tools you're looking at. I have about 30% Snap-On, 50% Craftsman, and 20% Matco. There is about 15k invested in my collection. Its my living though. But If you want to stay pretty cheap but pretty good tools go with Craftsman. However they don't have all the specialty tools that I need. But they're still pretty good. You can get a really decent sized toolbox for cheap from Home-depot that is Husky brand.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
S-K tools are darn near as good as Snap-on. I'd recommend you try craigslist. maybe you can find someone needing money or getting out of mechanics willing to sell good tools for cheap price.

AVOID CHINA CRAP!!!! amen to that. I try to avoid buying anything made in China. Hell, one day I was in CHINA-Mart aka walmart and even their Apple Juice said "Made from Concentrate from China or Argentina"

+1 to SK. Mine are 45 years old. Used daily for 10 years with impacts. :bash: Yes I have even hammered some on rounded bolts.

·
Registered
443 Posts
some things like your inpact guns and stuff go with ingersal rand since most of your snap on and matco guns are made by IR. my hand tools are mostly craftsman or snap on no mac stuff i hate that name brand and the dealers to:mad:

·
Registered
79 Posts
sk, and wright are my favorites, and wrights are even made not too far from me. if i had to choose, i would buy all sk suckets and wright ratchets. honestly i've never broken a wright rachet (and i've tried)... williams is alright, theyre 3/4" to 1/2" reducers wont hold up to 6 ft of pipe and 200lbs lol... oh and if you go with craftsman, STAY away from their non reversable ratcheting combination wrenches (Craftsman Ratcheting Box Wrenches - Accessories & Gear Review - Motorcycle Cruiser)
i have a set, and they slip like crazy, i get a new one and they do the same thing :(
anyway i differ in opinion than these guys...

chinese wrenches are ok....
to keep in your spare tire well and let rust away.
t.b.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Im about 70% sk and use them daily. Those are only good though if you can get them replaced where you live. If your not in a shop enviroment, then go craftsmen. Dont get me wrong, all makes of tools break, but in our shop the other guys come to me when the "good" brand brakes and they need my sk socket. I dont like craftsmen wrenches, they hurt my hand when I use a lot of force on them. One item that I recommend you get from a mac dealer(if not, otc makes the same thing) There is a master torqx kit you can buy. It comes with a case, has regular, tamper proof, + torqx and female torqx. mac price is 130$. Very handy to have.
james

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have snap on ,craftman, s-k ,cornwell, and husky all are used daily all have held up well the only thing that you should buy that is made in china are easy outs.why?because they twist insted of snaping off I do quite a bit of exctration and china junk is the only way to go:thumb:

·
Legendary Driver
10,968 Posts
I like my craftsman for working on cars. I'll go with other brands if i need a special tool. Although i use Cresent for the wrenches of their own name and vice grip vice grips of course.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See, I knew you guys would have some opinions! I'm glad I asked because there is a lot of helpful info here for a "rook" tool buyer.

For an example James, that's good to know about the torx set that's some of the info I was hoping to get from the experts!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
439 Posts
If you want good tools get blue point. Blue point is snap-ons sub brand, pretty much same tools just cheaper and still have lifetime warrenty. I also use craftsmen, snap-on, and some evercraft.

·
Administrator
25,737 Posts
Homedepot(Husky) and Lowes (Kobalt) are also lifetime gaurentee.
I have been doing this for a living for 30 + years and I have tools of everymake.
Snap-On, Mac, Matco, SK, Proto, Wright, Craftsman, Husky, Cobalt, even have some tools from Pep boys(compression tester, vacuum gauge 32mm, 34mm, 35mm, 36mm deep impact sockets, have not had any break yet).
The key with ratchets, wrench's, screwdrivers, nut drivers, torx drivers, etc. is to be sure they are comfortable to work with.
Air Tools are Ingersol only.
Sears seems to have increased thier prices since thier financial troubles started and thier merge with K-Mart.
A very good online site that sells everything is Tooltopia.com.
Bought a complete set of SK metric 1/4" drive swivel impact sockets for $103.00. Matco wanted over $300.00. Over $75.00 shipping is free.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Shop for used snap-on, mac, craftsman, S-K etc. Real visegrips, real channellocks. Srcewdrivers don't manner as long as their cheap. I used to hit swap meets but nowadays their prices are almost as much as Sears. Try to find a whole set used.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
try sam's club i bought a nice channel lock set of tools metric and sae, wrenches sockets ect bout 70 bucks works good no failures even with cheater pipe on 1/2" ratchet

1 - 20 of 31 Posts