Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I looking for in the window for the transmission housing on the flywheel when trying to find TDC? I have an aluminum flywheel, all that I see is like a read rectangle on it as I slowly spin the motor around with a wrench. Can I trust the reading the top of the oil pump will give for TDC when I pull the distirbutor when looking for TDC? If so do I even need to check for TDC in the transmission housing? thanks, chris

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
The easiest way is this. Disconnect both HEP connectors. Remove #1 spark plug. Have a friend blip it over while you put your finger over the hole. When it starts to pftt, insert a long philips into the plug hole. Turn over the engine by hand until the screwdriver stops moving. You will have to hold the screwdriver or it could get jammed. Now look at the hole on the trans, the mark you see is your TDC mark. You might have to move the engine a little bit either way-by hand to see the mark.

·
Registered
15,058 Posts
RPMurph said:
or you could disconnect the HEP and watch the distributor untill it gets near the #1 wire to get it close then get it right on by turning the egine manually and watching the TDC mark in the bellhousing
True, but if you have messed with the timing belt, this will find your TDC and you can check the rotor position and if its correct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts