Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Looks awesome! You just need the theme from 2001 a space oddessy on the video!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Its a very high precision piece..a bit pricey but sometimes you gotta pay to get things done right. Probably "rent" the thing to the TD community later for like $40US per rental or less..as a thanks to all the info I have been given on here.. and to the MOST of the people who have been just plain good members, if I could ensure some way that I'd get my money AND get it back. I'll have to look into it.

Here is some plain pix for the bandwidth challanged... like me.

·
Old School Hot Rodder
1,454 Posts
Looks like some really nice machine work. What material? Mild steel or something stronger?

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
what are those used for?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think they use them to simulate the head on the block when they bore the cylinders. So you get a perfectly straight bore when you put the head on. someone correct me if I am wrong please :thumb:

·
Registered
634 Posts
very nice :thumb:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
This might sound crazy, but couldnt you bolt a head to the block and bore it from the bottom side? I guess I dont know much about machine work, but it seems feasible.

·
Registered
632 Posts
John- said:
I think they use them to simulate the head on the block when they bore the cylinders. So you get a perfectly straight bore when you put the head on. someone correct me if I am wrong please :thumb:
100% correct. These blocks especially distort more than others with the head bolted down. Warp the block like it will wen boring, and its perfect when assembled.

topdollar69 said:
This might sound crazy, but couldnt you bolt a head to the block and bore it from the bottom side? I guess I dont know much about machine work, but it seems feasible.
No, because the block webbing and the mains would be slightly in the way.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK. I am getting alot of unexpected interest here, posts in the thread and PM's requesting to purchase these plates.

READ! -> I am not a machinist. The vid shows the machinist.

Let me put this out.. I KNOW to manufacture this plate in the same fashion as the one pictured COSTS ALOT!!!

Anyone interested in these plated can PM me and TELL me what they would pay for them and I'll see what I can work out.

Remember.. IF we can get a high quanity of these requested.. its cheaper for everyone.

Just PM me if you have suggestions,questions or anything. I'll see what I can do.

Here is the outdated website of the place I work. http://www.gow.nb.ca/

Not alot to see.. but massive stuff comes out of there.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If The Barron is unable to have his shop produce the torque plates for you guys, I would like to have the opportunity to do so. The machining involved is rather simple work, but the material is what makes it a bit pricey for some.
I was told by a very reputable engine builder in my area that for a motor that uses an aluminum head, the torque plate should be made out of aluminum to give the closest representation. But, a chunk of aluminum that size is pretty costly and that's why the BHJ torque plates (I believe they are called) run around $350 each last time I looked. Also, torque the mains when using a torque plate as well.

Here's a link to another thread with some pics of my work.
http://www.turbododge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87442

1 - 20 of 22 Posts