Turbo Dodge Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently discovered I am going to have to replace my tranny cooler. As best I can guess, moisture got into the cooler, froze (haven't driven the Daytona in about a month) and cracked the cooler. When it thawed, I had a ton of tranny fluid all over the driveway and I can see where it split. My question is, has anyone replaced their cooler with a run of the mill tranny cooler from Autozone or Napa or anything. Car is an 84 Turbo Z, 3 speed auto, mildly built (I'm not sure what was done to it, but I know it has the shift kit). I need to replace it soon. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
971 Posts
I suppose that my 1st thought & question is....how did anything other than trans fluid get into the trans cooler in the end tank?.... If indeed you do have water in the cooler lines, you might want to consider doing a complete flush of your trans, and probably replace your rad. As for my car, I have a Dana cooler, (11,000lbs. unit) mounted in front of my A/C condenser right in front of the fan which is used in conjunction with the rads trans cooler. Keeps my 604 very happy and that in turn keeps me very happy :)

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am concerned with something other than tranny fluid in there as well. I can't confirm that it was water (I'm just guessing as I don't believe tranny fluid will freeze at 0 degrees F, but I'm not certain). Who knows. At this point, I'm going to swap out the cooler, check the lines for leaks, flush both the tranny and radiator and see what I get. Thanks for the tips all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.