Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a a-413 built like omniturbo.com. I had a lot of water get into the tranny when I changed my radiator(bad dipstick o-ring).I flushed out the tranny 3 times and everything was working ok. The only problem I had with the tranny is that it would downshift to 1st when traveling at 55mph for a second and then to second gear. I recently to it for a test drive, floored the crap out of it and I slipped downshifting and I redlined the engine twice, now the tranny slips when I floor it in 3rd gear. I took the tranny out thinking it was my clutches, but the clutches look very good I did find a lot of material on the magnet on the pan. All the bands look good. I dont know what to do?Please help me. I did not slip in first but it did seem very smooth when going into drive, it used to feel very firm. could the converter be bad ???

:bang head

·
Registered
567 Posts
Once you get anti-freeze into the clutch disks and bands, they're junk. Time to rebuild- make sure to replace the converter and flush out the trans cooler.

-Chuck James

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience in this, but since you PMd me, here's my 2 cents.

I've also heard that coolant eats up engine bearings, so who knows what it will do to a tranny. I would talk to a local tranny shop in your area. I'm sure they have experienced this many times. See what they say. I suspect that a flush won't get it all out. You may be better off getting a fresh core and moving all your modified parts (after a good cleaning) into it. get the convertor refreshed as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this board, but.... I am a tranny kinda gal :) Antifreeze is very bad in the trans, it will eat up the clutch material, and will damage bearings and many other components. Now, I don't know what kind of vehicle you are working with, or what kind of mods you have, so please bear with me. Torque converter needs to be replaced, go aftermarket, unless you have over say... 450 ft lbs torque. To have any converter under a 2500 stall cut open isn't exactly cost effective (unless you work at a converter company).

If I can be of more help, let me know.
Robin

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rebuilt tranny.....

I tore out the tranny last week and took it apart everything looked okay the front rear clutches were worn a little but everything look fine. I cleaned everything out and cleaned the gov and replaced the valve body and turn up the line pressure. I took the car for a spin and it shifted great, I let the car sit for about an hour took it it for another drive and it started to slip in every gear really bad? I dont know whats going on. :bang head I have plenty of fluid clean filter and throttle lever is working. :bang head PLEASE help

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pressure port

My friend took my atsg book, which port is the vlave body pressure port to check fluid pressure???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts