Turbo Dodge Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made a deal that if I get rid of my Camry and fix this Daytona its mine. My problem is the original tranny had problems and was gotten rid of and two trannies gotten. I was told there was one for NA and one for Turbo. The car is a 1986 Turbo Z Daytona CS, which I believe has a 2.2L. The tranny supposedly the NA has a torque converter in which its shaft is shaved to have two flat surfaces 180 degrees from each other that in the tranny beveled pins will go up against and the torque converter has four bolts. The turbo tranny's torque converter has two slots 180 deg that fits into two rectangular pins but has three bolts. I don't know the story about the flywheel if it was ever swapped but it takes a converter with four bolts. The problem about using the 4-bolt converter and NA tranny is that when the converter is bolted to flywheel the converter seems to not be on the spline all the way. I can't find tags on the trannies but have numbers that I find when facing from drivers side above differential on bellhousing flange and they are [NA Tranny~424-21-B] & [Turbo Tranny~656-21-A] The 424-21-B has wrecking yard writting saying it's an '87 while that torque converter says '87 charger. The 656-21-A doesn't have any writting. Can someone give me any idea on what trannies do I really have, if they are even correct for this car. And any info on my flywheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright flywheel 8 bolt to engine and 4 bolt torque converter is correct for 86 up. The transaxle with the 3 lug converter is either an 84-85. Something must've been up on the '87 trans, someone probably wasn't doing something right before. But is there any difference between the 86 and 87 splines? I here that the '87 transaxle's differential is heavier dutier with bigger c.v.'s. I would also need to confirm if it is N.A. or Turbo and if I need to modify car or c.v.'s to work with it. Please help I currently have no ride, I broke up with my girlfriend and don't have her transportation and need to take daughter to school somehow.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts